• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide]S-OFF and ROOT HTC Desire with Revolutionary - Windows (published 4th November 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to be posting this message here but I read the FAQ on rooting and the S-OFF process. I'm still a little confused as to whether or not my HTC Desire needs to be S-OFF'ed before I can install a custom ROM such as Cyanogenmod. Do I need S-OFF to install Cyanogenmod or another other Custom ROMs?

From The FAQ:

Do I NEED S-Off?
Well, it depends what you want to do, but for most things you do not need it.

So no ;)

However if you're on android 2.3, you have no choice but to S-OFF to achieve root.

Upvote 0
If you can downgrade the hboot that would work, but I've not seen anyone claiming to have succeeded. Feel free to try, but I fear it may be a case of wait and hope someone cracks this one.

Did you get this by trying the official bootloader unlock (which I think "upgrades" the hboot to this version)?

i feared it could be that, but when i took it apart it looked like 1.04
hmm maybe it will let him flash hboot?
maybe if he flashed a froyo sense rom it will let him use teppics downgrader?

Upvote 0
It's not the first time. When HTC released their gingerbread for the Desire it initially could not be rooted or S-Offed. In that case revolutionary came to the rescue, and maybe they will again, but who knows.

I think the advice is that when HTC offer something that we can already do in other ways, don't be in too much of a hurry to try their version :(. The Gingerbread update turned out to be rather useful to us, not because it's Gingerbread but because it offers a pretty universal "return to stock for warranty purposes" tool (as it works with many networks' handsets) and now can be rooted as well. The bootloader unlock seems to offer less than alpharev/revolutionary, and still voids the warranty if I've understood their slightly non-committal wording right, so at this moment I don't see any advantage to using it rather than revolutionary.

Upvote 0
we dont know if hes able to flash hboot from fastboot yet. we dont know what commands have been included as they havent disclosed it
if he can fastboot flash the alpharev stock hboot then its all good

EDIT: just to reiterate

flash a stock rooted 2.2 rom
the get teppics downgrader and see if it works. if it does it will take you to a 2.1 rom with an early hboot. you can then root with unrevoked and flash the a rom of choice (remember to update radio)
after that is done you can s-off with alpharev

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Did you try Teppic's XDA thread? The link's there, and I'm trying to download version 2.3 to test - it's a slow download, but seems to be working.

Edit: Yes, the utility downloaded, and the md5 code checks out.

But I'm puzzled by the rest. If you succeeded in flashing the downgrader then that would be 1.03 gone, and the RUU would replace the downgrader. So presumably that flash failed, but if so how did you run the RUU at all? I think I must be missing something here.

Upvote 0
Did you try Teppic's XDA thread? The link's there, and I'm trying to download version 2.3 to test - it's a slow download, but seems to be working.

Edit: Yes, the utility downloaded, and the md5 code checks out.

But I'm puzzled by the rest. If you succeeded in flashing the downgrader then that would be 1.03 gone, and the RUU would replace the downgrader. So presumably that flash failed, but if so how did you run the RUU at all? I think I must be missing something here.

indeed.
when you flashed the downgrader did the hboot say alpharev at the top?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones