• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] System Backup/Restore for LG Motion 4G (root nand)

im still tinkering with e and finally got the guts to try this and it worked, even made a backup to external sd.

yet for some reason cant do a nandroid because it gives the busy box error, but the backup in 2ndinit worked fine

Redo the rooting, this time do it with the root method, not the one without busybox getting installed. :)

Reactions: Sepero
Upvote 0
You should be able to rename the "1970" dated backup to something better without any problems. Though, I recommend sticking to only letters (A-Za-z), numbers (0-9), and underlines/dashes.

So replacing 1970-01-07.19.00.59 with 02-09-2013.19.00.59 or fresh-root.19.00.59 should work? Trying to know what Im restoring to in case more than one backup.

Or how about something as simple as fresh_root with no numbers at all??

Upvote 0
Stupid question time! Is it possible to tell backups of 2 different phones apart? Would it be possible to look at the files and tell the difference between an HTC and lg phone?

I didn't do a very good job keeping things organized and now I don't know if I found an old backup for the motion or my old HTC phone. Lol

Upvote 0
@Spdfreak34
The backup method in this thread backs up to an archive file named system.ext4.tar for the system. You could open up the file on your computer (might require a special program). If it's LG, then it should have a lot of files that start with LG in the /app folder (like 20 or 30 files)

Upvote 0
@Spdfreak34
The backup method in this thread backs up to an archive file named system.ext4.tar for the system. You could open up the file on your computer (might require a special program). If it's LG, then it should have a lot of files that start with LG in the /app folder (like 20 or 30 files)

Is it always system.ext4.tar? The backup I have is ext3, but it could be from my HTC (incredible 2).

Upvote 0
I'm looking to backup my newly rooted LG Motion (obviously) but I'm a bit confused about the instructions.

I'm up to the rebooting into recovery mode steps. I've run the app, granting it SU permissions and all that but I'm afraid to press the "Reboot Recovery" button because of what you said here:
AVOID "Reboot Recovery" in the Menu options. It will factory reset/erase your phone.

By "Menu options" are you referring to the menu once you're IN the "Reboot Recovery" menu? :thinking:

I hope what I'm asking is clear. I'm just very cautious because just yesterday I had to completely reset my phone because it bricked for no reason after about a month of use.

Thanks for any help/answers in advance.

Upvote 0
Hey rashiidhinson. Great question. I can understand how this would be confusing because it's used twice.

Clicking "Reboot Recovery" in the 2nd-init app is OK. It will reboot your phone into a clockworkmod menu.

While in the clockworkmod menu there is another "Reboot Recovery" option (in the advanced menu). Avoid that.

Reactions: adanmex
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones