1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Guide to beat the wait for 2.1 on Branded phones in UK.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Moko76, Jun 30, 2010.

1. aggrodoc

aggrodoc Newbie
    None

Sep 20, 2009
    In process of debranding an Orange Hero and installing 2.1. FIngers/toes everything crossed. Will let u all know how I got along.

Advertisement

2. Gage_Hero

Gage_Hero Lurker
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    If your having trouble making a goldcard.. get the goldcard tool. I did 2 cards the sandisk that came with my phone and a kingston 4 gig class 4. Very easy to use and both cards worked fine. Of course I used the 4 gig in the phone. On my second rom now... villain 10.3:D

3. Tass608

Tass608 Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    Please what I want to know is if I can use the goldcard created with this goldcard-tool to root my hero or say my htc desire?
    Thanks

4. aggrodoc

aggrodoc Newbie
    None

Sep 20, 2009
    What happens if we try calling Orange to get a sim card unlock pin if after debranding the sim is locked. Has anyone tried it? wWould Orange provide the pin?

5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    I don't think it would work. Like I said, this bug has appeared even for people with Orange sims, who shouldn't be affected even if it was locked. It's not possible to lock them by flashing firmware, so it seems the radio is just confusing the hero.

@Tass. You can use this to root your hero, yes. But please, check the people in the HTC Desire section first to find out how to root that. They will know for sure if this method of goldcarding will also work.

6. sshaqs2000

sshaqs2000 Lurker
    None

May 16, 2010
    I've debranded my phone and after a day I still have no update option to 2.1. I've turned on all my firmware options but still nothing. Is there a rom option that i can download rather than wait for the over the air update which doesn't seem to be happaning?

7. aggrodoc

aggrodoc Newbie
    None

Sep 20, 2009
    Got both updates but now have SIM locked screen. Has anyone successfully gone back to 1.5 Ornage ROM after the HERO got locked?

8. FuricTrax

FuricTrax Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    Hi All,

I know this is my first post so some maybe a bit weary but I have just managed to follow Moko76 process for a HTC Hero on Orange UK (a locked branded Orange version which I received in February with 2.73.61.66)

1. I GoldCarded
    2. Downgraded the firmware
    3. Went through the OTA update process, and then on boot got the Network locked message.
    I then got my unlock code from HTCCODE (it was sent via email as the program didn't seem to work correctly), entered the code in twice, the first time it said 'Network unlock successful' but still said Network locked on the home screen and was asking for a PIN, so under the advice from the guy at HTCCODE entered it again, and job done :).

Hope this helps some, I am off on holiday Saturday so apologies if I don't reply for a few weeks for any help etc.

9. Manzrif

Manzrif Newbie
    None

Jan 26, 2010
    Debranded 3uk Hero here...woop woop.

Big thanks for the perfect instructions.
    No point waiting for the 3uk ROM, you can go back to that if you want (why???)

Anyways all good.
    Loving voice search and Google Nav "Navigate to Home"

10. alchemistkevin

None

Feb 15, 2010
    IT
    London
    Is this the best thread on the forum? :) I certainly think so.

Easy to follow steps by the OP - Thank you. I'm now rockin' 2.1 on my Hero

11. Geejay

Geejay Newbie
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Thanks for this thread, it's extremely useful. I'll probably put aside a couple of hours this afternoon to debrand and upgrade my 3 Mobile Hero.

Just wanted to ask one thing though. The ota offical carrier update keeps your original settings and apps, is that the case with this procedure? The impression I got from reading the HTC site was that installing the generic rom would do a factory reset on the phone, but I might have misunderstood this.

Cheers

12. FuricTrax

FuricTrax Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    @Geejay

I lost all my settings because I had to flash generic firmware over the top of my Orange firmware.

13. Geejay

Geejay Newbie
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Thanks FuricTrax, that might put me off a bit. When you say "settings", what do you mean...what was it that you had to re-do after the firmware change? Also, what about you apps, were they ok?

Cheers, sorry for the 20 questions!

Also, could any Three users confirm their experience re: settings and apps?

Thanks

14. bartjunited

bartjunited Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Guys

I followed all the steps above using the RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.66_WWE_test_signed_NoDri ver.exe Rom from the XDA website.

My phone has debranded as I dont get the T-Mobile stuff when it boots & in about phone it just states HTC Hero

However after it reboots & connects to wifi etc I havent had any updates come down?

Have i done something wrong or do i need to do anything else to force the update?

TIA

Bart

15. FuricTrax

FuricTrax Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    @Geejay,

I had to redo the whole lot. So basically it's like you never had the phone before, which kinda sucks, but the price I was willing to pay :). When I went back into the Market Place > Downloads, the apps I had downloaded previously were there, so I just installed them all again (although don't exit until you have reinstalled as they won't show up as previously downloaded items, only the first time you open it up).

@bartjunited

I downgraded to the generic HTC 1.5 firmware (2.73.405.5), maybe the one you installed is still branded?

16. bartjunited

bartjunited Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    im sure the one i have is def unbranded as there is no mention of T-Mobile as it boots up & in the phone model number it says HTC Hero rather that T-Mobile G2 Touch?

help!!!!!!!

17. adz182

adz182 Lurker
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Gloucester UK
    I have just unbranded an orange locked hero . I got the phone last week and used my rebel sim to let me use my vodafone sim card in it . I followed the guide and now it works perfectly ! but im guessing thats only cuz my sim is vodafone !?

Adz

18. android1230

android1230 Newbie
    None

May 7, 2010
    Would it be possible for you to try an Orange sim card in the phone?
    If it comes up "Network Locked" that would prove that we can de brand and install the generic 2.1 ROM onto an Orange locked Hero, and use anything but an Orange sim afterwards

Cheers

19. adz182

adz182 Lurker
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Gloucester UK

Yeah sure will try my wifes in a sec !

Adz

20. toocoldhere

toocoldhere Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2010
    What a great guide, 2.1 is installing right now. Many thanks.

21. toocoldhere

toocoldhere Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2010
    So had to pop out for dinner, otherwise I could have told you all that 10 minutes after the last post, I had 2.1 running!

22. steve_f

steve_f Newbie
    None

Sep 30, 2009
    Worked like a charm thanks (I'm on Tmobile)

Couldn't be bothered waiting for Tmobile to load their crapware onto the ROM.

23. adz182

adz182 Lurker
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Gloucester UK

Nope wont work just tried wifes orange sim . network locked . i guess it wont work with the normal radio off 2.1 ??? works fine with my vodafone sim tho

24. n0v

n0v Member
    None

Jan 6, 2010
    On 3 in the uk, got fed up with waiting as I could not get in to the market place as something was corrupt and it would not take the account login details.

Only option was to do factory reset so I went for the 2.1 upgrade mentioned here. Great instructions and not any issues, working fine and all my apps are now back on.

One question though, does the app have to be written to be put on to the SD card as I seem to have run out of space again!!!

Thank you to OP for this, simply excellent.

cheers

n0v

25. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Apps can only be installed to external memory in the upcoming Android 2.2. a.k.a. Froyo. Until that appears for the Hero, the only way to do so is to install a third-party ROM that offers this functionality.

Tags: