1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Guide to beat the wait for 2.1 on Branded phones in UK.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Moko76, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Crafoo

Crafoo Newbie
    None

Mar 29, 2010
    IT Support
    UK
    Superb guide this, had some initial trouble with the Gold Card generator which I quickly found out needed Framework 2.0, after that it was all plain sailing excellent stuff. This thread ought to made a sticky for those out there like me who were waiting for their network (3uk branded running O2 sim) to crack on a get the update rolled out.

Advertisement

2. Originalmate

Originalmate Lurker
    None

Jul 11, 2010
    Fantastic guide!

Thank you very much. Been stuck on 1.5 with 3uk for far too long.

Just to add, not sure if anyone else found this but i was getting stuck using the goldcard, tearing my hair out :D Kept getting an 131 error until i tried using the reversed goldcard numbers and then it worked perfectly.

Thanks again

3. b1jc

b1jc Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi, year long reader, first time poster.

Sorry for being a lurker, I'm shy lol

I have a 3uk hero I'm trying to follow this and I get to patch mmc, and it comes up with an error I can't seem to get past, followed it through a few times with different gold car images but still get the same error.

"an error occured object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Please help ;)

4. Crafoo

Crafoo Newbie
    None

Mar 29, 2010
    IT Support
    UK
    Have you tried using the MMC1 option instead of MMC0?

5. b1jc

b1jc Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2010
    I did try that, yeah but it didn't generate a number, "failed to get cid"

6. djc45

djc45 Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2010
    Hi,
    I`m gonna be buying a refurb hero from 3 to use my 3 contract sim in, I had delayed as wanted to be able to update to 2.1, but after seeing this thread, don`t need to delay any longer. :)
    A couple of questions for people who are on 3 and have done this:

1) When it's done, are the internet and mms settings for 3 wiped? If so, do I just get 3 to send me a text with the settings?

2) I assume I`m best doing this when I first get the phone, so I`ve nothing to back up, would i be right?

3)Am I best having the sim I will be using in the phone(contract) when I do it, or should I keep the PAYG sim in it. Or does it not make any difference?

4) If I debrand the phone, do I lose much functionality? I presume I need to use regular skype, and it will come out of my data allowance. But I presumably also lose the bloated planet 3 and all that rubbish. lol

Thanks for a really clear instructions in this thread.

7. alchemistkevin

None

Feb 15, 2010
    IT
    London

1. I had my 3 SIM in the phone when I did the update - didn't need to enter any Internet settings.

2. Do it as soon as you get it. 2.1 is great :) Don't bother with 1.5

3. Doesn't matter.

4. You can use skype no bother. Generic 2.1 is good. I had my desire from 3 - that's was completely generic and everything on '3' works fine.

Hope this helps.

8. fazoool

fazoool Lurker
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    This is a very nice and easy to use guide. I have successfully updated my HTC Hero on 3 to Android 2.1 following the steps in this guide. It is really wonderful, much faster but drains the battery a little quicker.However, I have some problems with using 'Skype on 3'. My previous version 0.9.0.9 doesn't work any more on Android 2.1. I've installed version 0.10.0.12 and 0.10.0.14 but they both don't work when WiFi is switched on (which is really strange). They work only when WiFi is switched off.

Another interesting thing...yesterday I manually checked for update by going into Setting->About the Phone->System Software Updates and tapping Check Now. It downloaded a firmware update of size 79.88MB and installed it. All the settings were preserved and I don't spot any difference at all. Any body else received such an update once you've installed Android 2.1?

9. Davelfc37

Davelfc37 Lurker
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    You need to try another SD card, I got this error until I found a spare card and then it worked perfectly.

10. alchemistkevin

None

Feb 15, 2010
    IT
    London
    I'll check about the update bit later when I have the phone in front of me but skype won't work when wifi is on as the phone terminated the HSDPA connection and uses WiFi.

I'm not aware of any way to keep both connections alive and let skype use HSDPA so I've switched WiFi off on mine.

11. fazoool

fazoool Lurker
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    But 'Skype on 3' version 0.9.0.9, running on Android 1.5, always worked fine whether network connection was WiFi or HSDPA. It's frustrating that the recent versions don't support connection over WiFi.

12. ianm2k4

ianm2k4 Newbie
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    So if you 'update' an Orange branded phone and you get locked network. Has anyone tried purchasing an unlock code and put that in?

Does it work then?

13. uin

uin Lurker
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Was trying to be patient & wait for the official update.
    After getting no answers from 3UK, couple of weeks after the HTC EU release, came across this.

B-R-I-LIANT, cheers for the walk thru

Dead simple to follow, now playin with 2.1

14. slater143

slater143 Lurker
    None

Jul 14, 2010
    I did this to my Hero on three last night and it worked wonders. Thanks! I was sick of waiting for the network to pull their finger out.

15. praga

praga Lurker
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Hi Im getting an Orange locked htc hero soon, and i just saw this thread and some people are having trouble with debranding and unlocking htc hero orange.
    my question is if i debrand my htc hero and if tht problem came is it possible to downgrade it to the old version, if possible how?

16. PumaYaYa

PumaYaYa Lurker
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Canada
    Just a quick note to anyone trying this outside the UK, it does work as I've updated on a Telus (Canada) Hero.

Thanks.

17. b1jc

b1jc Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2010
    Still no luck with that, tried it with 3 different cards, and 2 different phones......

But it don't matter cos I'm just downloading the official ROM off the htc site, which I think must have just been released today!!

Yes you read me right!!!!

HTC Hero - Software Download

18. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    That will be why the release date is shown as 8th January 2010 then.... :rolleyes:

Relax everyone, this is the 2.73.771.73 firmware.

19. JohnHwessel

JohnHwessel Newbie
    None

Feb 26, 2010
    Male
    Ex-IT
    Leicestershire, UK
    I've just downloaded the Goldcard tool to my XP machine, unzipped it, and when I run it it comes up with error "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application".

Any ideas anyone?

I found a Windows 7 PC and ran it on there no problem. Now back on XP to do the rest.

20. simonthepost

simonthepost Lurker
    None

May 27, 2010
    Did this today,it WORKS!!!! Thank you

21. larsselleth

larsselleth Lurker
    None

Feb 17, 2010
    I have a HTC hero on T-Mobile (poor me) I have just been reading the 2.1 update provide by Moko.

Why cant I debrand my phone and use Googles Stock Eclair 2.1? I've thought about this for a while but never done any serious research. Im not being lazy, I just do not know how to word it.
    I can turn Sense UI off and I get stock Google 1.5 (I assume) I can install a custom UI off the Android Market.
    So why can I not just download Googles 2.1 update and completely bypass HTC (And T-Mobile, but lets not get started on this) and then install my own UI? Therefore there is no legality issue, im using Googles on software and a Google approved UI.
    Or even install 2.2 FroYo?

Sorry if this has been asked a million times.

22. Willie Ekaslike

None

Apr 24, 2010
    Watford UK
    Thanks Moko. Really easy. My 3UK Hero now running 2.1 and I'm one happy bunny :D

23. scen1x

scen1x Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    Just want to say thanks. after a few attepts i managed to do it.

i originally tried it on 7 but got the 170 error during the update which scared me thinking have i broke my phone :(

it was fine tho then done it on windows xp and worked perfectly...

Anyway thanks MOKO

24. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    You can either just use another launcher app, as an alternative to HTC Sense homescreen, or install a vanilla custom ROM.

You can't just install Google's releases as the Rom needs all the right drivers and tweaks applied to run on the hero.

25. sar_02

sar_02 Lurker
    None

Jul 14, 2010
    Glasgow
    Worked like a charm! 3UK handset, easy guide to follow. Google goggles is great haha!

Had been following the GSM thread coz that was where most of the discussion seemed to be, only registered today to thank the OP. Cheers! And anyone else hanging on for 3 if you have access to something that isn't Win7 just go ahead an de-brand NOW

Tags: