1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Guide to beat the wait for 2.1 on Branded phones in UK.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Moko76, Jun 30, 2010.

1. shingami

shingami Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    I had the same error :) windows 7 64 bit
    Right click the gold card app and go to the compatibility tab, tick the compatibility box and select windows xp (service pack 3)

im supreised it even worked, just gave it a shot and it did :D!

Advertisement

2. wormdazzler

wormdazzler Lurker
    None

Jan 18, 2010
    I may be repeating a thread somewhere else, but the Orange updates are now officially being rolled out (this week). I got mine last week by putting my clock forward one month - and got the update instantly. Beware the second update though - it could cost you a lot if you download it through your phone line!

3. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Yup, the "Orange 2.1 update news" thread. :)

4. Red_Stafford

Red_Stafford Newbie
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    West Midlands, UK
    Hi all I am having problems trying to install 2.1 on my 3UK Hero, I did the first part of the tutorial at work earlier and it said it had patched succesfully so I went home downloaded the 2.1 update connected my phone ran the installation but it keeps saying its failed because the phone is not connected but the phone is connected because I can sync with PC ??

Also what is best the 2.1 update or Villain 2.2 Froyo update, whats the difference ?

is the villain 2.2 an updated version of the above 2.1 update, please help !!

5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    I think you're confusing official and custom (unofficial) firmware here. Anything Villain related, or based on 2.2, is custom firmware. This guide only shows you how to install the official 2.1 firmware.

6. Red_Stafford

Red_Stafford Newbie
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    West Midlands, UK
    Oh ok I get you so which version do people find better is there a thread comparing the two ?

7. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    Have a look at this thread. It explains some of the benefits and risks of custom firmware.

In short few sentences, custom firmware is faster, more up to date (e.g. android 2.2) and is a lot more flexible and customisable. You wouldn't want to switch back if you tried it. But, it can be a bit complicated to get to that stage, and you would have to undo it all should you ever need to send your phone for repairs. (Your warranty would be voided if you sent in a phone for repair that was running custom firmware).

@Slug: I know I went a big off topic there, but this thread has almost run it's course now anyway :)

8. hero user yeha!

None

Aug 7, 2010
    To the original poster, can I just say you are a LEGEND!! I have never joined a forum before but felt i had to to thank you so much for this tutorial. Brilliant forum! Im now away to play with my shiny hero with 2.1.....Three UK should be ashamed!!! :):):)

9. cazychen

cazychen Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    I've re-formated my SD card to goldcard now but i am still having trouble installing the ROM.

I've followed the steps as indicated, i am stuck at the part where i need to open the ROM (step 14). So i've opened it on my computer (if i'm not wrong) and i kept the phone connected (mounted) and unsynced. An error 170 popped out.

I've also tried it when it's synced and i still have the error 170 popping out :( What should i do now?

10. abs19

abs19 Lurker
    None

Jan 16, 2011
    I cannot thank you enough for this guide!

Not only did this save and change my life for years to come, it was also the answer to my prayers from years gone by.

I had been looking for ways to update my Hero (T-mobile G2) for over a year. Unfortunately, no method would work for me. I tried changing dates and everything else on the internet, and I was finally convinced that there was no way to go other than to r00t my device and install a custom rom. But that was kinda intimidating for some reason... :p

Several frustrating months and broken keyboards later, I finally ran into your guide. And you, sir, deserve an award for this legendary (and very articulate) post. :)

Thank you once again! :)

PS: I made an account (and got started) just so I could thank you. :)

Moko76 and Slug like this.
Tags: