1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Guide to Rooting 2.2 for Windows and Linux

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by OMJ, Aug 3, 2010.

1. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    Finance
    Pennsylvania
    no problem guys

Advertisement

2. Kn1nJa

Kn1nJa Member
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    X-ray Technologist
    MI
    Also, thanks for the titanium backup tip .... works great!

3. BillEkid

BillEkid Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    New to all of this, so how do I wipe the 2.2 (non-rooted) OTA in order to download the rooted version? I don't have a usb at work here for my phone and am trying to get the rooted version directly from my phone...

4. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    Finance
    Pennsylvania
    You have to follow the guide in the op of this thread. This is not something you can do without a usb cable

BillEkid likes this.
  5. BillEkid

BillEkid Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    I understand . I just saw a 2.2 rooted OTA that could be done from my phone, but in order to do that I would have to wipe the unrooted version I installed yesterday. Jumped the gun on that one I guess. Since I really don't know as much about my phone as you all, I first have no idea how to do a wipe, and I am reluctant since I don't want to lose my apps I have downloaded currently... I saw you talking about titanium, but I believe you need to be rooted for that program, correct?

6. Kn1nJa

Kn1nJa Member
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    X-ray Technologist
    MI
    You need root to use titanium.

If you haven't done any flashing or anything, I HIGHLY recommend you wait until you get a USB cable and follow the guide in the OP of this thread. If you follow those directions exactly, you will be rooted and will have all your apps and setting still there when you are done.

If you do decide to follow the guide, I recommend reading it over at least once before doing it. That is what I did and I had no problems.

BillEkid likes this.
  7. sranger

sranger Member
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    Thanks for the guide. Unfortunately, I can't get the SPRecovery to load through RSD Light.

It gets hung when it says:

waiting for re-enumeration

The error is:

failed flashing process. failed flashing process. Phone did not re-enumerate after RAM-downloader was sent. (0x703e); Phone disconnected...

Any ideas or help would be appreciated....

8. Kn1nJa

Kn1nJa Member
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    X-ray Technologist
    MI
    Did you make sure to check the MD5 of the file? Also, you might need to run RSD lite as administrator if you are using windows 7.

9. sranger

sranger Member
    None

Apr 11, 2010

I did run the MD5 program and the sum matched exactly. I am using Windows XP and logged in as the administrator....

10. kkovach

kkovach Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Is there a linux version of this process? I manually updated to stock 2.2 today and would like to root it. Thanks.

11. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    Finance
    Pennsylvania
    There is not a guide but you can do it in linux. I will try to get a guide up for linux tomorrow

12. trav473

trav473 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 10, 2010
    OMJ, FWIW, I used these steps on my wife's unrooted 2.1 droid and installed the stock rooted FRG22 no wipe, and all was perfect. Lost no data or settings.

just a side note, she had Helix launcher 2 on there. DO NOT set as default in 2.2, not compatable!!!

13. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    Finance
    Pennsylvania
    Not sure what causes that error. I will see if I can find a solution in the morning

14. jgaeta

jgaeta Lurker
    None

Jan 25, 2010
    i just completed this process with absolutely no issues whatsoever. i also skipped the wipe and everything turned out fine. dl'ed titanium and did a backup now ready to mess with kernels and roms. thanks again OMJ.

15. gee1000

gee1000 Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Newbie here...

I had the exact same problem when rooting. I figured out that my old IBM Thinkpad was having issues with the USB 2.0 ports being recognized as non-2.0 because I would get the "the USB device can run faster" message each time I would plug in any 2.0-enabled device including the Droid. I was getting the "waiting for re-numeration" and the eventual FAIL. Once, it somehow started and I got the "hacking your phone -mbm" message and it sat there for a while. I had to pull the battery :eek: I got the "Code Corrupt" message after that (bricked my phone all day and blew a day at work AND ticked the GF off cuz she couldn't call me - LOL).

When I figured it was the USB ports, I used my GF's laptop. Was able to install the .sbf file and the Onix ROM (for now) without a hitch.

BTW, I had already installed the 2.2 OTA update by the default bootloader and discovered that Verizon disabled the WiFi tether in their 2.2 :mad:, so that's why I decided to go root. Once I installed Onix, I was able to recover everything quite nicely since the apps were on the SD card already and they restored just fine.

Thanks for the guide! Now I can WiFi tether on my upcoming trip and play with ROMs! :D

G

16. Gemedet

Gemedet Lurker
    None

Aug 2, 2010
    Yeah, sorry, there's no stock wi-fi tether for the Droid, Verizon and Moto said the hardware can't handle it. I really think they're just phasing the old guy out to make way for the Droid X and Droid 2.

However, you can still use the USB tethering. I do it pretty frequently. Just download EasyTether from the market and then get the software on your computer.

17. ShuttleXpC

ShuttleXpC Newbie
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Wow, thanks for this bud. Followed your instructions everything worked exactly like it was supposed to. Funny how doing this, installing custom firmware for the PSP and messing with your iPhone are all done nearly the same (outside app, customized firmware/rom).

18. kevin24lg

kevin24lg Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Web Designer
    Seattle, WA

There isn't a stock wifi tether, but if you're rooted you can just download one. I just downloaded one for free last night and it works flawless. Here's the link, Wireless Tether for Root Users - Android app on AppBrain

Also, thank you android forums for this guide!!!! You've just given me a brand new phone, also thank you to p3droid for FRF22, that is waay faster then FRG01.

19. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    Finance
    Pennsylvania
  20. droid_noob

droid_noob Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2010

I have two questions. 1. Will this work for non rooted 2.2 that was manually forced on? 2. How do you do it if you have a mac?

21. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    Finance
    Pennsylvania
    First question: yes it will.

Second question: You find a friend with a PC that you can use

22. johnnybirdman

johnnybirdman Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    Law
    Erie, PA
    Thanks for the MFmagic, worked.
    Didn't have any major problems with the forced FRG01B, but it seemed slower than Pete's virgin FRG01B I was running a few weeks ago. This FRG22 seems better so far.

23. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    Finance
    Pennsylvania
    Linux Guide added

anyone has problems with the Linux guide post here or PM me. I finished it at work and I dont have Linux here. There may be need for a minor edit somewhere but I dont think so.

24. kkovach

kkovach Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    OK. Seems to have gone smoothly using the linux guide. But, how do I know that I successfully have root access?

First thing I did was download Titanium, because backing up is a good thing, but it seems to be complaining that I do not have either root access or BusyBox?

I went with the FRG22 rom. Does this not inlcude BusyBox or something?

Thanks for the help.

25. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    Finance
    Pennsylvania
    it does not come with busybox. Just press the problems button in titanium backup and it will install busybox for you

kkovach likes this.