• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Guide to Rooting Without a Computer

Thanks, this helps a lot! So Nandroid back-up is like Windows restore points, and Titanium back-up is just backing up apps that you can uninstall or restore individually, that was my main question. As long as one follows the 1st post you'll end up with both on your SD card (and backed up on your PC for extra piece of mind).

I wasn't sure what "Wipe cache partition" was... didn't want to try it and find all my links2SD gone. Cache cache everywhere... wish cash would build up that fast!

I'd seen that font app, has a few bad reviews, and that pop up screen is exactly the same as in many apps. I have "extra large" set in my browser (Boat), and any other app that has it. I use GO Launcher that has some font selection, so I'm OK (as long as I have my glasses on :cool:)

OK, i don't think I can tackle all that, but ill try. :)

A TB back up covers app & data. A clockwork recovery (usually referred to as a nandroid recovery) covers *everything*. As in, something goes wrong flashing a rom, you boot into recovery, choose backup & restore, choose restore recovery, and BAM your back to where you were when you made the recovery, no harm no foul. It saves your bacon if something catastrophic happens.
Also, if you have a roomy sdcard (which I do not) you can make a new recivery*after* you flash a rom u like, then flash a new one, make a recovery of that one, etc. and easily switch back and forth between them. My recovery I made before I flashed Harmonia was 500mb and took up most of the space I had left on my sdcard, so multiple recoveries are not for me.

I'll leave the recovery option explanations to the experts, except to try to answer one more thing.

Whenever my market gets wonky, or something else just isn't working quite right, this is what I do
1. Boot into recovery
2. Wipe cache partition
3. Go into advanced, select wipe dalvik (or is it davlik? Dyslexic, sorry!) cache
4. Since I'm using xionia, i do both wipes 3 times (xionia has a rep for incomplete wipes)
5. Reboot

And this seems to get everything running smoothly.

Hmm...you're a space saver like me, you might like Root Tools-let's you clear sdcard cache. It's the only app i've seen that actually works for that purpose.

Edit: hope this doesn't come off as creepy, but I saw and app earlier and it reminded me of a post you made a while back in another thread, about liking bigger font sizes, and I wondered if u had seen it:https://market.android.com/details?id=org.pbxes.fontsize

Upvote 0
AndiOpie, you said
Don't forget. Once you are rooted YOU NEED TO INSTALL A CUSTOM RECOVERY AND MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR SYSTEM IN THE BACKUP AND RESTORE SECTION OF THE RECOVERY(this is what is called a nandroid backup).Once you are rooted you can change(add,delete,add to)system files or delete system apps(pre-installed apps). Doing these things can lead to the phone acting funky(if you change the wrong thing by accident)

If I follow the instructions in the #1 post here, will I have a backup? Do I need to do this separately?

I'm not as quick at understanding all this, clearly, LOL...if I have the "nandroid" backup, do I need Titanium backup, too?

Also, can I backup my sd card to my mac...no pc here...

Thanks!

Upvote 0
mkbkr1, a question...above you told me:

Third-use Androzip to unzip the file to your sd card. Place all three files at the bottom of the list of files on the card, not in a folder

I'm sorry to be SO dense, but I don't understand how I would place the files anywhere...I'm really lost about imagining how that works and what I would specifically need to do.

I'm trying to walk thru everything in my mind before attempting the root.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
OK, for some reason,I keep coming up with PC metaphors, which I hope make since too you, even if you have a Mac instead. This is how I tend to think about it:
Your nandroid is like...the recovery disk that you get with a new computer-if you accidentally mess something up, delete a necessary driver, whatever, you use the recovery disk to put all the necessities back so it can run properly again.
This is sort of a must have,lest you be left with a nonworking computer (or in this case,phone) if you slip up.

A TB back up is more like....the install disk for a game or program. Say you install a program you like, but oops,system gets wiped,no more program. No problem,you reach for the disk,reinstall the program,all set.
That's how a TB backup works. If you saw the TB menu,it might click for you.bacically,its a list if your apps and when you click on one it give you the option to back it up,restore it (if it is an app that's no longer installed),or uninstall it (among other things).

Summary: you want to have both. They work differently for different purposes. A TB backup will be completely useless and inaccessible if you run into a problem and can't get out of your recovery screen.
A nandroid backup can only be applied (I think) thru your recovery screen,and would not be an efficient way of say,restoring a lost app.

Reactions: sushifor5
Upvote 0
mkbkr1, a question...above you told me:

Third-use Androzip to unzip the file to your sd card. Place all three files at the bottom of the list of files on the card, not in a folder

I'm sorry to be SO dense, but I don't understand how I would place the files anywhere...I'm really lost about imagining how that works and what I would specifically need to do.

I'm trying to walk thru everything in my mind before attempting the root.

Thanks!

Long press (I'm guessing) on the file,select 'copy' or 'move',back out of the folder your in until your in the list of all the folders and files in your sdcard,hit your menu button,you should get an option that says 'paste',press that.

Upvote 0
Thanks sadielynn, the nandroid/tb explanation makes sense! the moving files thing is still not gelled in my mind, but i imagine i will just need to give it a go and see what happens. i appreciate the explanation!

another question...perhaps dumb...do i need to uninstall all my apps and delete contents of my sd card (only music and pics) before rooting? or is that before installing a rom? honestly, i've been reading so much that i think i'm making it worse for myself, LOL.

Thanks again!

Edit: sadielynn, if i recall, you use the Harmonia ROM? That's the one I'm interested in. I read on another thread that the xionia recovery works better if you want Harmonia, rather than the clockwork recovery? I don't know if I got that right... Does it really matter which recovery I use if I want to use the Harmonia RoM? Thanks!

Upvote 0
OK,this should make moving the files with Androzip(not astro,sorry,that was my mistake earlier) a breeze. this will unzip the file and move it to the right place,all in one easy process. Download the zip file from the first post and Androzip from the market.

Step one: open Androzip. you should see this:
dJ77nBw

Don't worry about the folder,I'm gonna have different ones than you,since I have different apps. The only one you need to look for is download

Step two: touch the download folder to open it. you should now see the zip file.
bVUI9uL

Step Three: Touch the zip file to bring up the pop up menu:
g7tsp3W

Touch the "Extract To.."option.

Step Four: You should now see this:
7F5uljT

now touch the "Extract Here" button that had appeared in the upper right corner.

and there ya go,all done! see,that didn't hurt a bit,right? :)

Upvote 0
And for the other questions...

No,you do not need to remove anything before you root. You do need to keep your stock sdcard in the phone tho.

The steps for flashing a rom should include a step to wipe data,among other things. This will remove everything on the phone. The stuff on your sdcard will not be effected. This is why you want to have a TB backup of your apps, when your finished rom-ing,you will need to reinstall your apps.
I use xionia recovery because that's what I was told worked best with Harmonia. The only issue it has is that when you wipe cache and dalvik cache (things you will do in the flashing process),you have to do the wipes 2 or 3 times, because xionia has issues doing a complete wipe the first time.

Upvote 0
Great androzip tutorial, sadielynn, thanks much! that's exactly the kind of hand-holding i need, LOL...i am really impressed with those screenshots in the post, too, and won't even begin to wonder how to do that! :)

thanks, also, for the info about the sd card and xionia and wiping data (eek, that sounds scary....). i know i should proceed with the root and live with it for a bit before deciding on the ROM stuff...and i will undoubtedly, at that point, forget everything i've read/learned and be back to asking inane questions! LOL

thanks again!

Upvote 0
And for the other questions...

No,you do not need to remove anything before you root. You do need to keep your stock sdcard in the phone tho.

The steps for flashing a rom should include a step to wipe data,among other things. This will remove everything on the phone. The stuff on your sdcard will not be effected. This is why you want to have a TB backup of your apps, when your finished rom-ing,you will need to reinstall your apps.
I use xionia recovery because that's what I was told worked best with Harmonia. The only issue it has is that when you wipe cache and dalvik cache (things you will do in the flashing process),you have to do the wipes 2 or 3 times, because xionia has issues doing a complete wipe the first time.
Keep up the good work sadielynn! I've just got a new job and it's a night job(I can't sleep in the day time). It will take me some time to get my body use the Idea so my replies to post are kind of spotty. Glade to see your stepping up to the plate and really helping the "Nuub's" with your wonderful advice and screen shots. Now I don't feel so bad when I end up not being able to reply to the "Nuubs" questions because my brain is in La La land most of the day. I'll get adjusted right about the time the project is finished in November. LOL.

Upvote 0
OK, I'm going to do it, LOL...I'm planning to do this root sometime this weekend. So, if someone could please tell me:

After I root, what is my next step?
I want to move apps to my new (unformatted) 16gb sd card, so after completing the root, what exactly do I do next?

I am considering putting on the Harmonia ROM, but am not brave enough to attempt it yet...considering I might want to do that, though:
Is there anything specific I need to do during the root or after the root to be prepared for Harmonia ROM in future?

Thanks for the help; this newbie REALLY appreciates it!

Upvote 0
Go here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/380801-guide-rooting-without-computer.html
and here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...-custom-kernel-rom-change-boot-animation.html
then here [Reference Guide] Optimus V Modding (READ THIS TO GET STARTED) - Android Forums
this will give you all the necessary info and instruction to accomplish your goal.
Make sure you read all links as these will answer all your questions and help to clarify those things that are need for you to eventually install a custom ROM(you might change your mind on what ROM you want to install when you see the other possibilities out there for ROM's).

Harmonia v1.5 is good for app space. Bumblebee is really good for speed. And the new IHO-CM7 Gingerbread ROM's have to be installed to be fully appreciated.

Upvote 0
Thanks Andy, for your input. I have read all the threads you linked and I'm embarrassed to admit that reading all that info just gets me more confused about what to do and how. I'm VERY simple when it comes to technical stuff...I'm a healer, not a technology brain, LOL!! but i really appreciate your time and the help of everyone here so far...great group of people here!! cheers!

Upvote 0
Thanks Andy, for your input. I have read all the threads you linked and I'm embarrassed to admit that reading all that info just gets me more confused about what to do and how. I'm VERY simple when it comes to technical stuff...I'm a healer, not a technology brain, LOL!! but i really appreciate your time and the help of everyone here so far...great group of people here!! cheers!
That's OK. Just read over them again and again until everything starts making sense. That way you wont be even the slightest bit confused when you do Root,and install a recovery,and ROM(confusion is your enemy and might cause you to make a mistake).

Upvote 0
Gingerbreak has been running for 30 minutes now.
Should I keep waiting or is something screwed up?

Never mind. Rebooted after 38 minutes!
Glad to see it booted up after 38min. Normally after 12 min you would want to do a battery pull and start over.(sometimes it takes a couple of tries).

Upvote 0
Got it...thanks, guys!

And, just so I have my head wrapped around this correctly, the final step of the root process is running the custom recovery. But that doesn't mean I need to do a Rom, right? I can be rooted and "recovered" and not rom'ed?

Thanks so much! I really want to do this! Why am I so nervous? LOL....
Correct. But if you want to be overclocked then go here [Reference Guide] Optimus V Modding (READ THIS TO GET STARTED) - Android Forums and click on the picasticks kernel. It will take you to the site where you can download it.

Put it on the root of the sd card(not in a folder,but near the bottom of the list of file folders on the sd card),making sure to keep it zipped.
Then go into your recovery and wipe cache partition and dalvik cache(in the advanced section).
Then go to install zip from sd card/select zip from sd card. select the picasticks kernel. After it installs select "reboot system now"
It will take about 5min. for it to install the first time.
Go to the Market and download "No-Frills CPU" or "Set CPU"

Never set the min. higher than 480MHz as this is where the phone idles(if set to high the battery will get hot and drain quicker)
When you try to figure how high you can over clock,where the phone reboots on it's own, then go down two settings and this is as high as you can safely go.

With the ROM I'm using I've got the CPU speed set to 480MHz min.-787MHz max. this gives me the best battery life,my battery stay's cool,and it's fast(angry birds is fast and smooth,no more jerky action). It might be different for you. You could download a battery temp monitor to check and see which CPU speed gives you the speed plus cool battery. Then run it for a day and see where the battery off charge time is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones