1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Guide][TOOL] How to root fastboot style. Fastest easiest way around

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by asadullah, Apr 15, 2011.

1. asadullah

asadullah Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 24, 2010
    Ironworker
    casselberry
    Tired of all those funky ways of rooting? Wanna just push a button and be rooted?
    Guess what I've got something for you.

Introducing FastbootRoot (patent not pending) for the virgin mobile optimus v

FastbootRoot was designed with simplicity in mind. The easy to use ui makes rooting your lg optimus easy and quick without all those adb commands. It takes the guess work out ( is this right, what does he mean by that? ) of rooting your phone.

Features:
    flash a custom recovery
    this feature only flashes a custom recovery without rooting your phone giving you the ability to back up your current system without root. I put this in here in case of needing to return the phone for warranty matters

flash the entire shebang
    This flashes a new boot image, a new system image*, and custom recovery.

Revert to stock
    thanks to destundead we now have the stock system image and boot combined with my stock recovery we are good to go

New experimental install windows xp fastboot drivers
    My goal is to fully automate this process and to make this as painless as possible for the new users. This new feature is untested and will either work or it won't. Give me some feedback if it does or doesn't.

--------------------------How to Use--------------------------

Download fastbootroot from here and place it on your desktop.

Download the usb drivers from here

On your phone turn on usb debugging by pushing menu, then settings, then applications, then development, and then usb debugging.

Install the drivers ( I find that rebooting after the drivers have been installed will install a whole new set of drivers. I recommend this method)

unzip fastbootroot and inside double click the fastbootroot file. Make your selection and your done.

Here's a video on using it and a little explanation
    watch it here

WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS:

no need to install usb drivers

Enjoy this and remember this works fully on windows 7 and I tested it myself. No matter what there's always room for user error though in which case I take no responsibility if things go wrong.

*the new system image is stock with root, flash_image and busybox installed

Advertisement

2. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    This method worked perfectly for me. I got stuck a little on the part where the phone was changing ports, but I realized the drivers should have been installed at that point instead of before. My phone is up and running CM7. HUGE performance boost and now my battery will last a full day with heavy usage. Thanks Asadullah!

3. lburgguy

lburgguy Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    I rooted using this app. Worked great. Now I'm in need of simply restoring a few apps like market and maps. Can I somehow use fastbootroot to reinstall these presumably backed up apps??

4. bigsupersquid

bigsupersquid Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    homemaker
    BFE MO
    unfortunately, no.
    the backup you made is a complete backup of your system.
    you can use a tool called unyaffs (google it) to extract your backup's system.img and then copy the apps you want from the extracted /system/app/ back to your phone.

5. lburgguy

lburgguy Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    I got the above problem fixed. Someone here dropboxed me Market and from there everything else was resolved.

Question: My phone is right where I want it, rooted with Fastbootroot and all my apps are just as I want them (basically). So how do I backup all of this so I can get back to this state if something bad happens? I'd ask this elsewhere or research it elsewhere but I'm thinking that the program I rooted with makes it a unique case - or does it?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

6. bigsupersquid

bigsupersquid Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    homemaker
    BFE MO
    use recovery to make a backup.

7. Broncowolf

Broncowolf Lurker
    None

Nov 3, 2011
    Ok, I rooted my Optimus V using the OP's method and it seemed to have worked great. However, I keep getting a notification that my 'su binary outdated'. When I try to update it, I get an error "Failed to find currently installed su binary".

Can someone help me figure out what to do about this, please?

8. KammieD

KammieD Lurker
    None

Nov 1, 2011
    I am also getting the "su binary outdated" notification, but I have not tried updating it because I am not sure I should. I think superuser updated and now I am getting this notification ... I am just unsure what it means. Everything is running smooth otherwise.

9. RLHammon

RLHammon Newbie
    None

Mar 1, 2012
    Retired/Disabled
    Chico, CA.
    Hello Asadullah

Jerry J at XDA suggested I talk to you reguarding fastboot and or adb. He has been helping me with a LG VM670 cell phone. At this point I am able to get the blue screen of fastboot along with some text on the cell like portchange and more. But I keep getting waiting for device at my DOS prompt. I have saved everything I want to my PC so there is nothing to lose. I get the same thing with adb, fastboot and fastbootroot. Can you help me out on this problem if you have the time. :thinking:

Rodney

10. g10xio

g10xio Lurker
    None

Sep 30, 2011
    miami
    great help i love fastbootroot thanks

Tags: