• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] Unbrick OR Unroot LG Motion 4G [KDZ]

I check the amount on the download and its not 566mb it was 108mb first time
and 380mb the second i'll keep trying till i get the full 566
I get 567MB, Is that alright?
& Download mode is the same as "e-mode" Correct?
I'll hit wIParam = 13 IParam = 83, Then download mode reboots itself all the time..So i leave it to see what happens, It goes to wIParam = 13 IParam = 100, Then wIParam = 2001 IParam = 1, & Its Stuck. Im pretty sure im doing everything right. What could I be doing wrong? Thanks.

EDIT: Got It working! for some reason i couldn't get it to go on Windows 7, But on Windows XP Its works like a champ. Thank You!

Upvote 0
does this show anything that reveals that you have restored? i have a samsung admire and when we use Odin to go back to stock we get a big yellow triangle upon boot that tells us that custom software has been put on the phone. my friend has just gotten the Motion and he is interested in rooting it after i rooted his old admire. i just want to be sure if i ever have to do this to his phone that he can claim his warranty for whatever reason.

Upvote 0
does this show anything that reveals that you have restored? i have a samsung admire and when we use Odin to go back to stock we get a big yellow triangle upon boot that tells us that custom software has been put on the phone. my friend has just gotten the Motion and he is interested in rooting it after i rooted his old admire. i just want to be sure if i ever have to do this to his phone that he can claim his warranty for whatever reason.

When you do this guide, you are unrooted and LG doesn't do what Samsung does with saying a custom ROM has been installed. And this is Stock Firmware, so it won't void ANY warranties. I already heard that some MetroPCS Corp. Stores are already using this guide to fix phones and telling other people that it exists as well. I'm talking about the cool Metro employees who don't care if you root though. But if you follow this, it returns the phone to before it was rooted and upgrades the clock speed to 1.5GHz if yours was a 1.2GHz

Upvote 0
I just wanted to mention another way to get your firmware...Great guide sammy, virtually same thing as mine except for the execution...
http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=12345678910

replace esn= With your handset's ESN-HEX(MEID)

You should then see a blank page with a few lines of text at the top, Right click anywhere and left click on View Source. In the source, there will be a direct link for your fw/sw .cab file download, Two links actually, one listed <sw locale url> other listed <sw url> (same file though)

does anyone want to test and see if at least you can download firmware this way? Ive verified on another handset as well, but don't want to go universal until i am pretty sure. (Sammy only real difference is that my method runs the mobile handset update tool)(I do like your method a bit better ;))

EDIT: Question, this whole overclock thing, that must be because of a software update that hadn't been OTA? has anyone confirmed running mobile update tool w/out any other strings attached to test if they get the overclock? (handset specific)

original link for the viper unbrick i posted:
http://androidforums.com/viper-4g-l...ory-reset-method-incl-system-apps-sprint.html

Upvote 0
I'm testing this out for the viper, but i didnt look closely enough, it does bring you to the handset upgrade tool, correct?

Handset upgrade tool??
I've seen your guide after I made this one, we all know this is based on XDA's how to get LG firmware guide ;) and then just flashing stock firmware onto phone. I too wanted to make a universal guide. I have unbricked several LG phones I do not own.

Upvote 0
When you do this guide, you are unrooted and LG doesn't do what Samsung does with saying a custom ROM has been installed. And this is Stock Firmware, so it won't void ANY warranties. I already heard that some MetroPCS Corp. Stores are already using this guide to fix phones and telling other people that it exists as well. I'm talking about the cool Metro employees who don't care if you root though. But if you follow this, it returns the phone to before it was rooted and upgrades the clock speed to 1.5GHz if yours was a 1.2GHz

thanks sammy good to know. and yeah lol ive yet to come across any cool metro employees but ive heard the stories. i wish it was more widely available to all cell phone carriers though, it would come in handy for many reason ;)

Upvote 0
Hello, ok so I am having a problem unrooting my Motion. For some reason once I rooted the phone, I cannot view any of my pictures. The screen opens up as just a black screen. So I want to unroot this and restore the stock firmware. So I have followed all of your steps to a T, but I get stuck when I open UpTestEX. You instruct us to click on the file icon and search for the location I downloaded the file, but the icon will not allow me to click on it. I cannot click on anything on the entire screen within the application, accept the drop down menus at the top. It could possibly be that I am not in emergency mode but not sure (I am unclear when I am in emergency mode). When I hold down all 3 buttons while phone is off, attempting to enter emergency mode, it shows a screen after a couple seconds saying download mode and that screen does not go away, so I am not able to access the contents of the phone via the phone, is that how emergency mode works? And please help me fix the UpTextEX program so that I can click on the file and locate it, in order to encrypt the cab file. Your help will be much appreciated :)

Upvote 0
Hello, ok so I am having a problem unrooting my Motion. For some reason once I rooted the phone, I cannot view any of my pictures. The screen opens up as just a black screen. So I want to unroot this and restore the stock firmware. So I have followed all of your steps to a T, but I get stuck when I open UpTestEX. You instruct us to click on the file icon and search for the location I downloaded the file, but the icon will not allow me to click on it. I cannot click on anything on the entire screen within the application, accept the drop down menus at the top. It could possibly be that I am not in emergency mode but not sure (I am unclear when I am in emergency mode). When I hold down all 3 buttons while phone is off, attempting to enter emergency mode, it shows a screen after a couple seconds saying download mode and that screen does not go away, so I am not able to access the contents of the phone via the phone, is that how emergency mode works? And please help me fix the UpTextEX program so that I can click on the file and locate it, in order to encrypt the cab file. Your help will be much appreciated :)

Did you install the msxml.msi program????

Upvote 0
Hello, I have an issue. I have tried the method with windows 7 sever times, also with windows vista, and xp. I get the same thing over and over, it goes all the way to wIparam 83 or so and the phone restarts then the phone goes to wIparam 2001 and sits there. I saw this same issue on post #127 and that was solved my windows xp, unfortunately, mine was not. Also everytime I did tried it with a new computer I redid the entire process, including the conversion and all. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Upvote 0
Do I need to register the R & D Test tool in order to gain access and search for the location (allow me to click on the file icon)?

No, Google Windows enabler and learn how to use it.

Hello, I have an issue. I have tried the method with windows 7 sever times, also with windows vista, and xp. I get the same thing over and over, it goes all the way to wIparam 83 or so and the phone restarts then the phone goes to wIparam 2001 and sits there. I saw this same issue on post #127 and that was solved my windows xp, unfortunately, mine was not. Also everytime I did tried it with a new computer I redid the entire process, including the conversion and all. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

How did you brick?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones