• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Guild Wars 2

They been saying this game was suppose to come out for like the past what 5 years. I think its a pipe dream that will never come true. I play the original but only do the holiday stuff as I dont have a clan no more so not much to do with heros and such.

The entry for it on wikipedia shows just how little faith you should put in their announcements:

Work on Guild Wars 2 began in 2007.[30] It was announced March 27, 2007[31] to coincide with the announcement of the final Guild Wars expansion, which was designed to act as a bridge, in both gameplay and story terms, to Guild Wars 2.[28] The development team abandoned the early open alpha and beta testing which they had used for the Guild Wars game. ArenaNet considered that player expectations for open beta tests of MMORPG had changed, and the beta was no longer used to test the game but to trial a nearly finished game prior to purchase. Beta tests scheduled for 2008[32] were cancelled to ensure Guild Wars 2 had maximum impact and appeal to these players.[21]

In August 2009, two years after the game was first announced, ArenaNet decided the game had reached a state where they were happy to show it to the public.[33] A trailer which mixed animated concept art and in-game footage was released at Gamescom, followed by interviews expanding on the lore of the game world and information about the player races.

In November 2009, NCsoft CEO Jaeho Lee stated the game would most likely not release until 2011, but a closed beta would be made available in 2010.[34] The Q4 2009 shareholders notes further supported this when the CEO stated that "the current development target was the end of 2010 but, Guild Wars 2 likely won't be released until 2011."[35]

A playable demo of the game was made available at Gamescom (19

Upvote 0
I've got mixed feelings about this game now. I was definitely going to get it right after I heard about it and for about a year after, but now I'm having second thoughts. I watched some of the PvP gameplay and it seems kinda strange.

By the way Xyro, you spelled service wrong in your sig.

Reactions: Xyro
Upvote 0
The entry for it on wikipedia shows just how little faith you should put in their announcements:

But when it eventually does come out, I'll get it, as I enjoyed the first one. Plus, with normal MMOs I don't play them regularly enough to justify paying the subscription.
Trust me I laugh everytime someone says GW2 is coming out soon. When it comes out I will get it but thats if it ever comes out. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I will most likely try it out if/when it does finally release. My only MMO experience is WoW, which I just stopped playing last month. If I pick up another MMO I'm definitely looking for something that is F2P and has different (more interesting/action RPGish) play mechanics. A more flexible class system would be nice as well. Guild Wars 2 seems to fit that bill. But, like you guys have said, it seems like this game has been "about to release" for a couple years now. Although, SW:TOR was the same way (original launch date was Spring 2010).

I think part of the problem is that MMO developers greatly underestimate the amount of time it's going to take to get a game ready to release. Obviously, these games are huge, and all that content takes much longer to develop, debug, test servers, etc..

So, it seems to me that the problem isn't necessarily that the game is taking too long to finish, but that the development cycle for an MMO is longer. The devs/publishers still try to build pre-release hype within a shorter development time frame, and end up announcing the game way before its done (like Nintendo with WiiU Super Smash Bros:rolleyes:).

Upvote 0
I read that they just started closed beta, and have started selling advanced copies of Guild Wars 2. I loved the first one- the only MMO I ever really got into- and have been following the development of GW2 pretty thoroughly. Now I just have to get 3 more Hall of Monuments points, and I'll have 30 (the most for GW2 items)

Upvote 0
The beta was meh, I feel like leveling is too slow. I should be able to go through the story without sidetracking and at least have a chance of finishing the instance. It got to the point where I was doing instances for levels three or four above me and getting my respective butt handed to me on a silver platter. I understand that they want you to experience other parts of the game, but as of now those golden heart instance things are pretty boring, since they don't really affect anything.

Upvote 0
I had some fun off and on with the original but not too interested in this. I'm from the old school Ultima Online days. Played it from release day to 2003.

Total hijack! If you liked the oldschool UO days (I miss them too!) then you should check out Path of Exile. They plan a hardcore mode where all areas are pvp enabled and you drop loot when you die.

Back on topid: I too am highly anticipating GW2! I'm not much of a PvPer but what they've done in WvWvW looks to be really incredible!

Upvote 0
Making steady progress at level 47. Tad annoyed by the fact that you can craft your way to 80 faster then you can get there playing the game, but you'll be bad at the game if you do it that way, so their loss I guess. The botters are annoying too, but hopefully ANet will stop being so lenient with them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones