• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chippy30

Jan 6, 2011
after 2 months of being messed about by htc, i finally got them to send me a new desire hd, i,ve had it a couple of weeks now,everything going ok until about a hr ago, i had it in my pocket and was in the garage cutting a panel down and got to the end and sliped with the saw and hit my pocket with phone in, took it out and i have caught the edge of the phone where the screen meets the case and nicked the plastic and cracked the screen, to say im gutted is a understatement, i,ve got my phone insured with my tsb silver account, but 4got to swap it to the new phone as they have the imei num, just phoned up and swaped it, but will have to leave it a few days b4 claiming, will they just give me a new 1 as its got damage to the phone casing aswell as the screen

Technically, the phone in your possession isn't the one you insured. Yes, to any regular person we would all say your insurance covers this, but you know what the insurer will be like; they'll pick up on any technicality to get out of paying you.

It depends exactly what you signed up for with your insurance, but it may be a better idea to get HTC to send you a letter confirming they have switched you to a new phone (stressing that they took the other phone away), confirming the new + old IMEI number and the dates at which this happened.

Upvote 0
I didn't mean to make a deal out of it, my initial post wasn't a swipe, more of a warning. Apologies if it came off the wrong way.

In the eyes of the insurance company, at the time the handset was damaged, it wasn't the exact handset insured. By damaging the handset before it was insured, changing your insurance to cover the new handset, then claiming for damage which happened before the phone was insured, I can imagine the insurance company would take umbrage to that.

As Xyro pointed out, to the normal man on the street, this is immaterial, however Insurance companies will look for any excuse not to pay.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones