• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Guys! Try out GDE homescreen cube! AMAZING!!!

ok so i reinstalled GDE (had to make it work somehow cause its very cool) but now i am having a strange glitch. when i open my apps drawer there is 3 copies of almost all my apps. a select few there is only one of and they appear to be the default apps that came with the phone. anyone know how to get rid of the 2 extras showing up? :thinking:

Upvote 0
ok so i reinstalled GDE (had to make it work somehow cause its very cool) but now i am having a strange glitch. when i open my apps drawer there is 3 copies of almost all my apps. :thinking:

Too funny!.... A can't remember the details but your not alone with this one... some get two , others three... I can't remember what they did to resolve it....
Maybe someone else can remember and let you know before you have to research it.

Have you rebooted your phone yet?.. that rings a bell somewhere....
You may have cached info mixing with the new and a reboot may fix it.

Upvote 0
also, why do my widgets stop working if i reboot the phone?

Using GDE I've never had any widget failure - what widgets are you using, and how do you know they stop working (what are symptoms)?

The duplication of icons or missing icons is a known defect that hopefully will be addressed soon. The missing ones or dupes usually show up/disappear if you change the view in the icon drawer between the two views (worked for me, anyway).

The most recent update (couple days ago) has made GDE completely usable for me - some infrequent glitches in smoothness/responsiveness, but aside from that I'm loving it. The stretch transition is so cool...better than the cube IMHO.

Upvote 0
also, why do my widgets stop working if i reboot the phone?

Icons are simply doors into programs.. when used the app opens.
Widgets are doorways into services apps already have running... which means widgets require more resources and since they are constantly running can potentially become a conflict with anything else that tries to run if the app is not written well.

I personally opt to not use widgets unless they are really useful for real time constant monitoring of something.. .otherwise a shortcut is cleaner to use IMO.

I know many boast of the ability for Android to multitask and juggle memory resources to not cause conflicts.. and in a perfect world where all app are written properly thats maybe true... regardless, each calls for cpu time and if they don't share properly things have to wait until the cpu is available hence you may see stalling and hesitations.

I believe any one prog is only allowed to access 16mb worth of memory with a few exceptions with the Droid where up to 24mb is allowed.

Usually all apps can all have a piece of the cpu time as long as there is enough cpu power to go around.

I don't have enough understandings if the inner workings of Android and maybe none of this has anything to do with what I'm saying.

If you go to System----> applications ----> running services and scroll down, you will see that every widget you have is running as a service.... that means its always active "unless the phone is off".
Rebooting causes these "services" to automatically run again".
Even when stopped, many of they will restart themselves without prompting.

All I know I some people have no problems and others do... maybe this will help someone.

Sometimes by character traits you can judge one thing by another.

What I mean is I don't know code and have no way of knowing if an app is written well...
But what I do know is most apps don't have a close button and once activated love to run from then on unless you kill it with a task killer..... why is that allowed?

That means apps are written without consideration or regard for other apps, meaning I don't trust that the code is written with compatibility in mind in some instances only care about themselves and whether they run well themselves so as to promote themselves.

Maybe I'm all wrong.... maybe the android system is made in such a way that forces each app to have a piece of the action with no more and all should play well together.... if thats true, why all the problems?

Someone educate me here........

Upvote 0
Does anyone know how to remove an application dock from a GDE home screen?

Thanks

Put your finger on the extreme right "or left I think" and hold it there about 2 seconds and it will become movable up or down, or all the way down to the trash can that appears.

You can also move it in the same way from one page to the next by holding it to the extreme right or left once it becomes movable.

Upvote 0
Had an odd first-time experience today on my Droid...no idea if it was a GDE issue or not, but I was running GDE when it happened, so thought I'd post it here...

I turned on my phone to check something, and found that two of my widgets had disappeared from the screens...Better Home (Clock/Weather widget) and the Battery Life widget were gone. I added them back in again and both are running fine.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Upvote 0
I bought this program a while ago.. let it run for a few days.. TOO MANY problems.. (I should have uninstalled prior to the 24 hours to get the refund)..

Has it been updated or 'bugs fixed' in the last few days?

on a MotoDroid, still looking for a decent HOME screen program.. tried PandaHome.. has fewer problems, but still had some..

FC

Upvote 0
I bought this program a while ago.. let it run for a few days.. TOO MANY problems.. (I should have uninstalled prior to the 24 hours to get the refund)..

Has it been updated or 'bugs fixed' in the last few days?

on a MotoDroid, still looking for a decent HOME screen program.. tried PandaHome.. has fewer problems, but still had some..

FC

Try dxTop. It works great for me. Please read the thread thoroughly for setup.

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/23303-your-thoughts-dxtop-droid-owners.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones