• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Guys! Try out GDE homescreen cube! AMAZING!!!

I like GDE but I can't use it because my favorite widget, Weather Widget (donate version w/ Sense like Flip clock and weather), won't load. I place the widget and it just sits there forever saying "loading data" but it never finishes. If they can fix that I would stick with it.

I was having trouble with widgets not refreshing, then I remembered I had them on the original home screen. After I deleted all of them from there and put them in GDE they have worked fine.

I hope this helps home of you with this problem.

Upvote 0
I want to thank everyone for indulging me during my fit while trying to figure this thing out.

I just downloaded the latest update and while i had no complaints about cube, its even smoother now and the center button always goes to the same place which makes things a little less confusing.

Its turning out to be a smooth little program that changes the whole face of the droid into a show off toy!

There are still some secrets that aren't yet apparent but I have hope its being ever more perfected.

The "home switcher" is a cool program makes life simple when referring back to what you already know "you old home" or even another.

While many programs seem pretty simple, based on my limited knowledge of code etc, this program seems like an accomplishment in excellence and a pretty tall order to fill and also one to beat.

My hats off to its creator and I encourage anyone to try it.

Its frustrating that some of the simplest things that everyone takes for granted is not posted for us newbies.

Seems a bit crazy!
No manual for the Droid and no manual for what seems like anything else either!.... funny once your on the other side!..... not funny when your in the dark!

I guess none of us used a manual to figure out windows as the manual only confuses... especially when the writer does not communicate well.

I do think the name "GDE" could be changed to something else so that people besides geeks may have some clue as to what its about.... that could make it more popular.

Upvote 0
Two updates in one day!.. unless I'm imagining it.. each update made cube mode smoother.

I don't know if it can get better or not, but I appears perfect now and is perfectly smooth on my Droid.

I no longer get that funky "force close" error upon reboot when I power off the phone and back on.

Good job!

Yeah, I'm actually using the cube now, it's going pretty smoothly!

Upvote 0
I was having trouble with widgets not refreshing, then I remembered I had them on the original home screen. After I deleted all of them from there and put them in GDE they have worked fine.

I hope this helps home of you with this problem.

I was hoping this would work for my fb widget since it rarely updates but it didnt. FB widget wont update for me on gde, dx top or native home..

Upvote 0
Decided to give this a try based on the positive reviews...looks nice, but I'm missing it on a few things:

- How to move an icon/widget from one screen to another (aside from deleting it on one and then adding it to another

- How to tell which of the five screens I've enabled that I'm on

- How to get back to the center home screen quickly

Also...when I select a wallpaper w/the cube style, the center of the picture is split down the middle and I can only see 1/2 of it on any screen...any way to get the center of the pic on the center screen (3 of 5) and the edges on the outer two screens on each side?

One very nice thing - w/5 screens this is smoother in normal mode than the native home screen is with 3 screens!

Upvote 0
Too late/too tired to read another thread, but I was using Pandahome and tried GDE for the first time today...I was planning on settling on Pandahome before I tried GDE...now I believe I"ll be sticking w/GDE...it seems smoother/faster, the various cube/fade/stretch options add some fun, and the customization options look great and are growing quickly. The developer is very active/responsive.

Things certainly could change, but at this point that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Upvote 0
Too late/too tired to read another thread, but I was using Pandahome and tried GDE for the first time today...I was planning on settling on Pandahome before I tried GDE...now I believe I"ll be sticking w/GDE...it seems smoother/faster, the various cube/fade/stretch options add some fun, and the customization options look great and are growing quickly. The developer is very active/responsive.

Things certainly could change, but at this point that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)
I was in the same boat, Pandahome attracted me because it was free but I ended up keeping GDE instead.

Upvote 0
Decided to give this a try based on the positive reviews...looks nice, but I'm missing it on a few things:

- How to move an icon/widget from one screen to another (aside from deleting it on one and then adding it to another

- How to tell which of the five screens I've enabled that I'm on

- How to get back to the center home screen quickly

Also...when I select a wallpaper w/the cube style, the center of the picture is split down the middle and I can only see 1/2 of it on any screen...any way to get the center of the pic on the center screen (3 of 5) and the edges on the outer two screens on each side?

One very nice thing - w/5 screens this is smoother in normal mode than the native home screen is with 3 screens!

1. Drag to the edge of the screen. Just like the normal home screen.

2. Haven't seen anything for this.

3. Tap the home button.

4. I think this is the way it is designed for now. You can give him a suggestion on changing it in his thread on XDA-Developers.
GDE - Version 0.1 in the market! - xda-developers

Upvote 0
There's a new theme up on the market, it's called iDroid iPhone theme. Fanboy arguments aside, this is a great skin...and I think it's higher res then most of the others (bottom icons aren't pixilated in any way). My only gripe is that it comes up a little high on the screen, and theres not much room between the bottom bar and the bottom row of icons. Still, this is my favorite so far.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to make GDE automatically rotate to landscape mode when you turn the phone sideways without opening the keyboard the way pandahome and dxtop do? That is my favorite feature and really the only reason I want a different home application other than default. I couldn't find a way to do this with GDE, so I uninstalled it. I am using DXtop right now because it automatically rotates, but it seems pretty slow compared to what GDE was. Pandahome seemed to unstable.

Upvote 0
Would appreciate your guys' feedback on this thread; again, no GDE fanboy rants please =)

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/20633-pandahome-versus-gde-alternative-home-replacement.html

Looks like the competition is making both better.

Its pretty dicey trying to compare since GDE is updating so fast. I haven't ran the others yet but based on what I read, I can't see I'm going to bother.
GDE runs as smooth as if it came with the phone "and it should have!".

There are still some rat mazes you have to find on a few items and a few interface bugs with other programs, but thats getting better too and with the help of this forum manageable.

At this point, I do recommend "home switcher" as a companion free app to make the move easier.

Upvote 0
Is there anyway to have different wallpapers for both GDE and Android Home? Every time is switch wallpapers it effects both homes. Any ideas?

I was wondering that too.. or at least have GDE have independent abilities to choose wallpaper rather than having to go back to regular home to switch.

BTW.. I installed a theme app "I think called pink" and when I uninstalled it, it left the wallpaper and I couldn't get rid of it regardless if I tried to install another theme.

I finally figured out I had to go back to my regular home "with home switcher" and reset the wall paper to what I wanted. Looks like the "pink theme" left its wallpapers even though I uninstalled it.... not biggy.. they're pretty nice and I can always ditch them with androzip if I want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones