• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GVoice "routing number" request...working on config for those w/o Gizmo nor F&F plan

colnago

Android Expert
Nov 17, 2009
The GVoice "routing number" is most likely just the CallerID for a PRI/trunk somewhere, but I'm looking for a number that's displayed as callerID, which is different than your actual GVoice number, when you make outbound calls.

I no longer have the DROID (currently have n900), but do have a GVoice dialer app. I'm trying to test if I can make either a "data only" call via Gvoice or a SIP client:

1. Without having to use a call back number,

2. Without having a Gizmo account

3. Without having to pay "extra" for being part of a "Friends and Family" plan

The benefits are dependent on your situation, but should help at least a few people. If it works, worse case is that you'll have to configure a "free" pbx trunk (outlined in the sipdroid/pbxes.org instructions), and use sipdroid for calls.

Anyone care to help?

Yes you can. Floow this thread over on the GV forum.

HOWTO: Free Calling with Google Voice - Google Voice Help

Good lookin' out...however I'm looking to streamline the process even further. Based on what I read in the outline, I still see a lot of the same methods. The solution I'm trying to develop will acheive all three of my objectives at one time. The existing methods seem to only address one or two at a time.

Basically I envision being able to use the gvoice app, or just the SIP client, to make calls directly to the called party...no callback. However the difference being that even though google provides no PRI/Trunk support "for the duration of the call", one would be able to piggyback their gvoice number on their forwarding PRI/trunks...if not directly, then thru a 3rd party vendor.

In other words, someone could essentially start a new gvoice account today, on the cheapest calling plan, not subscribe to any SIP providers that charge, and be able to make calls directly to the intended party.

Upvote 0
Using the information at that link, I setup a sipgate account for free, a sipsorcery account for free, I use Sipgate on the Droid and my GV number. Using the data side only I can place a call to any US number and it rings direct. No call back and no cost anywhere other than the data side of my cell bill. Incoming calls work the same only in reverse.

I also use a Linksys PAP2 NA and make the same calls in the same manner while at home with a broadband Internet connection.

Upvote 0
It looks like sipgate/sipsorcery would work fine on their own accord. I'm dealing with some one-way audio issues (dealing with AT&T, and two router config for WiFi), but its working intermittently. However it seems that Gvoice would still need a callback number (sipgate). That or I didn't copy in the Dial plan as needed, even after editing for "my" accounts.

Thanks again for the heads-up.

Upvote 0
Sipgate/Gizmo is required for the dial plan however when placing a call your phone does not ring back as you might expect if you were initiating the call through the GV web interface. Those sip numbers are used with the GV API to initiate the call to your dialed number but your phone does not ring as a call back. You dial the number and the called number rings.

I suggest that future discussion on this matter be handled on the GV help forum. In the link I sent you there is a link to a trouble ticket type system where you can post your specific problems and there will be several people looking at that and can help move you along.

Upvote 0
Sipgate/Gizmo is required for the dial plan however when placing a call your phone does not ring back as you might expect if you were initiating the call through the GV web interface. Those sip numbers are used with the GV API to initiate the call to your dialed number but your phone does not ring as a call back. You dial the number and the called number rings.

I suggest that future discussion on this matter be handled on the GV help forum. In the link I sent you there is a link to a trouble ticket type system where you can post your specific problems and there will be several people looking at that and can help move you along.

Roger that. I had already jumped on the other forums, but took a break from it after spending enough time w/the one way audio (did not test w/sipgate "not" as Callback #).. I guess is doesn't help either that I'm not using an official GVoice app, but a community dev app for maemo.

Either way

Upvote 0
Using the official GV app has no relevance in the usage of the script and services as discussed on the aforementioned thread.

As a side note, the official GV app has become unusable for many in the last month because of the access number and failure to connect to it.

Fair enough...I'm trying configs both with and without the script. Calls via my SIP client (not as robust as sipdroid) seem more stable without the dial plan. As far as the app, I don't know about the stability of my version. Again, I'm using "Dial Central" for the n900.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones