1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Gyrometer works fine in Maps, but skywatching programs won't work any more

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by TheyCallMeBT, May 5, 2012.

1. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 29, 2012
    Male
    So, I can spin around like a school girl in the Maps application, and the arrow pointer will stay right with me the entire time. But if I open Google Sky Map or Star Chart, they don't work right any more. They used to work on this phone. I can move all around the sky without it moving or I might move left and it moves the screen like I'm moving right.

Is that not using the same sensor? Do you think it or some other sensor needs to be recalibrated, or are the apps just screwy now?

Advertisement

2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    I know what you're talking about. I don't know if it's a Nexus related problem or ICS, but Google Sky Map sucks on the Nexus. It was better on my OG Droid. I've heard of other people having the same problem but haven't heard a fix for it. I thought having the barometer was supposed to assist this, but what do I know?

3. TheyCallMeBT

None

Feb 29, 2012
    Male
    Ok, cool. Yeah, I know I've used it before and it work right, but I may be thinking back to the DX days. It's just a minor annoyance, though. As long as it works in what I really need it to (Maps & Navigation), it'll work until there's a fix.

The other day, I was like... now I KNOW that's Venus and not a star in the Orion constellation. lol.

4. scoson

scoson Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 13, 2011
    I have also noticed this, and if anyone finds a solution or can link to older versions of apps that do work correctly I'd be very interested.

5. TheyCallMeBT

None

Feb 29, 2012
    Male
    Galaxy Nexus, also?

6. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    I've got Skeye and a few other live astronomy apps and was getting southern constellations while pointing north.
    On site recommended taking your phone and waving it around in a figure 8 pattern for a couple of times.

That reset Skeye for me.

7. TheyCallMeBT

None

Feb 29, 2012
    Male
    I've tried that before, but to no avail. But I don't know if the screen is supposed to be facing the sky or if the top of the phone (like if you were holding it straight out in front of you where you could see the screen) should be. Do you know which it is, or it doesn't matter?

8. scoson

scoson Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 13, 2011
    I have an Optimus V. I currently have Skeye installed and I will try the figure 8 thing myself.

9. Dmark44

Dmark44 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    I had the same thing happen on my OG Incredible. I was never able to solve it. I used Sky Map without problems for a few months, then it got stuck in about a 150 degree range.

Eventually I discovered I could calibrate it using the GPS Status app, and then it worked but ONLY in the GPS Status app. Whenever I went back to Sky Map or any other compass app, it would only bounce between SE and W when I turned 360. So I don't think it was a hardware issue like I initially thought.

10. Dmark44

Dmark44 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    I moved on to the HTC Rezound a couple of months ago. My Incredible is still lying around and I just factory reset it this past weekend, something I was unwilling to do when it served as my primary mobile device.

Just for kicks I just redownloaded Sky Map on it. Guess what... it works! North is pointing in the right direction and it smoothly follows me in a 360 rotation. I hate to say it... but if a fix is important to you, you may want to try a factory reset.

11. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011

I think I asked Mobile Planetarium dev. He said it didn't matter which way you held the phone. The gyro should adjust for position. I waved it around vigorously for about 5 circuits.

12. TheyCallMeBT

None

Feb 29, 2012
    Male
    Ok, cool. I just had an update for Star Chart, and it seems to have fixed whatever the issue for it was. I don't really have anything it the sky to look at, but it got N S E W correct and tracked my movements all around. There's a cool new feature to "travel" to other planets and see everything from their point of view. It's cool to see that we're just another spec of light in the sky from the sun's point of view or anywhere else other than the moon.

13. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I like the 3D view in Mobile Planetarium - it also does live sunspots. The new one is huge and predicted to cause flares.