1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Gyroscope bearing phones?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by nam3l3ss, Aug 20, 2010.

1. nam3l3ss

nam3l3ss New Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Which phones currently on the market have a built in gyroscope?
    (Eg. already released as of 2010-08-20, it does not matter if it's hard to come by because of stock problems.)

So far I have gathered this:

Wikipedia, and a lot of threads around the net, and even some in this very forum suggest that the "Samsung i9000 Galaxy S" does, but I was unable to find any proof: the official site does not list it (at least I didn't find it), Wikipedia does not source it.

Furthermore, I'm unsure if all modells have this feature.
    Someone has already asked this question before me on an android developer forum, but I couldn't dig that post up, and it was unanswered and old anyway.

It is very important that the device bears an actual gyroscope, eg. the SDK method call getSensorList(Sensor.TYPE_ALL) returns a list containing TYPE_GYROSCOPE.

Any concrete, confirmable, sourced information, or pointers?

Thanks in advance. :)

Advertisement

2. Isthmus

Isthmus Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    To my knowledge only the Iphone 4 has the ability, but it is not a true gyroscope. Thus far very little use of the added functionality has made its way to real world applications. I suspect that most uses for mapping in all those dimensions will be in games - an area in which Android is still playing catch up.

3. jayson9

jayson9 New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    But, you got to use a rubber to play with it! So you don't get your sticky little hands on their antennae and screw up your iPhone experience. Talking about being handled....... :eek: That new iphone gots a mind of its own...... <thats what she said>

4. mob_king

mob_king New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Hi .. I am also searching for android with real Gyroscope , so that the SensorEvent calls TYPE_GYROSCOPE events. Got to your post while searching, do you have any idea what is recent status for availability of such devices, i mean by 31 October 2010. or in near future.

5. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Epic 4G has a gyroscope I believe

6. Car Guy

Car Guy Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Pardon my ignorance, but of what use is a gyroscope in a phone?

Accelerometer & compass yes, but gyroscope??

7. uzetaab

uzetaab Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    Brisbane Australia
    As far as I understand, it's really just an advanced accelerometer & they called it a gyroscope.