1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Habitats - New 4x1 toggle widget

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by adaptroid, Aug 3, 2010.

1. adaptroid

adaptroid Lurker

I just released a new version (1.5) of Habitats. The app lets you add chameleon scale widgets that look like icons and can be configured to launch different applications depending on what Wi-Fi network you are connected to.

The new version adds a 4x1 toggle widget that lets you quickly change habitats without changing networks. (You can use linking to connect your configuration to a Wi-Fi network later.)

There is also a simple live wallpaper that changes in different habitats. It isn't fancy but is subtle and gives a visual indicator when you change habitats. You can tweak the configuration by tapping on the slowly flashing bubbles.

Habitats is a Locale plug-in so you can use it with Locale or Tasker.

Habitats in the Android Market
    [​IMG]

Habitats is free software (GPL). See the website for details.
    Main website (adaptroid.org)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. adaptroid

adaptroid Lurker

I just added a new version with a few more tweak. The chameleon scale widgets no longer add a notification when you launch an app, instead you can edit them by tapping the scale in the top right corner. Those notifications seemed like a good idea at the time, but were pretty annoying.

I also added support for making habitats conditions in Locale.

3. JerryG

JerryG Newbie

This is a very nice app/plugin/widget set. Thank you!

One thing - at work, we have multiple wireless access points, with the same SSID. This makes Habitats a bit confused.

Is there a setting to go by SSID only, as opposed to MAC address (which is what appears to be the problem)?

Thanks and regards,
    -Jerry

adaptroid likes this.
  4. adaptroid

adaptroid Lurker

Glad you like the app!

You're right, Habitats uses the MAC address to identify a habitat and there isn't a way to use the SSID instead. I'll try to work out a solution in the next version since I can definitely imagine how it would be problematic to deal with more than one Wi-Fi network with the same SSID.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Best Regards,
    Michael

JerryG likes this.
  5. JerryG

JerryG Newbie

Michael,

You're welcome!

And TIA for the pending documentation! :D I'm really kind of stumped when trying to figure out how to use this with Tasker... :(

Thanks and regards,
    -Jerry

PS - maybe there should be a new thread here, for this? L8r...

6. adaptroid

adaptroid Lurker

Sounds good, I'll follow up on the user voice site and post back here when the next version is ready.

Cheers,
    Michael