• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hacked via IMEi

What do you mean "hacked via IMEI". The IMEI is just a hardware identifier, it doesn't give magical access to a device. What exactly has happened, i.e. what are the symptoms rather than what are your theories about how it happened?

The reason people say not to post your IMEI online is not because it can be used to gain access to your device but because if a stolen and blacklisted phone can be reprogrammed with a different valid IMEI then it can bypass the blacklist - with the drawback for you being that if that IMEI then gets blacklisted (and if the network realises there are 2 phones with the same IMEI that will happen) then your phone is useless. If the security services were interested in you then knowing your IMEI would help them in tracking you, because your service provider sees the IMEI of every phone that connects to them. But the idea that the IMEI itself provides a backdoor that lets someone hack your phone is just an internet fairy story.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply Hadron. Hope your are not from Had ;).
Then seem service provider provide service to scam. My privacy is compromised. Hence, what to do to protect from IMEI tracking. I figure out scam see what I see on my cell. I ignored their attack for months, thought they will leave on their own but they can't stop attacking me. How get my privacy back? I noticed if I use VPN they see what I do on my cell.

Upvote 0
You still haven't said what the problem is. You say someone is attacking you, but not in what way. You say your privacy is compromised, but not why you think this. You seem to be convinced that the IMEI is part of this, but don't say why you believe that. And you say that someone can see what you do if you use a VPN, but not how you know.

If you describe what is actually happening that makes you think you are being hacked, tracked or attacked then maybe someone will be able to suggest something. If you just make vague comments about being tracked but provide no information it's very hard for anyone to suggest anything because we don't know what's going on.

(And no, I'm not from Had. A hadron is any particle composed of quarks and gluons. How that ended up as my username is a long story, but basically I didn't know how often I'd be coming here so picked a word I figured I'd be able to remember even if I didn't enter it often.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, you say that you've figured out that the attack is via the IMEI. The IMEI is just a static hardware identifier, nothing else. The network will know your IMEI, but if the attacker is inside the network's systems the only thing you can do is tell your service provider they have been compromised and try to convince them that you know what you are talking about (which may not be easy).

Some apps can access phone identity information. If one of those is malicious then it could be passing your IMEI or other information on, but in that case it's not the IMEI that's the vulnerability that allows them access, it's the app that has been installed, and the solution is to identify and remove the app and work out how it got on there so that it doesn't happen again. Most Android malware is of the trojan variety, i.e. involves tricking the user into installing it thinking they are installing something harmless (in many cases it's the app itself that's the malware, in some the app is then able to install malicious content after the user installs it). If your phone is old or rooted then the malware may be able to install itself to the system, requiring a complete reflash to remove it.

There is some very sophisticated surveillance software out there, but these are not generally in the hands of ordinary criminals (e.g. the Pegasus spyware, sold by an Israeli security company supposedly to governments only with strict limitations on what it can be used for, which of course means it was sold to repressive regimes and used to target journalists, activists, political opponents and other countries' politicians). Unless you fall into one of those categories its highly unlikely that you have been targeted by something like that - if you have then "buy a new phone" might be the best advice.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
There is no such thing as "hacking via IMEI", so there's no point asking for that.

You need someone who you can talk to who is knowledgeable enough to work out what is happening. But for them to do that you'll need to answer their questions, not just say "I've been hacked". And honestly, if you tell them you've been "hacked via IMEI" and they don't reply "no you haven't" then you know that it's not going to be worth taking a conversation with them any further.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones