1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Hackers can get past fingerprint scanners in 15 minutes

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rebel1860, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Rebel1860

Rebel1860 Newbie

psionandy likes this.
  2. psionandy

psionandy Extreme Android User

Also discussed in this week's security now podcast... On the twit network..

mikedt and Rebel1860 like this.
  3. Rebel1860

Rebel1860 Newbie

I would NOT register my fingerprint on my phone just for this reason. Where is it stored? On Google servers? If they get hacked & someone manages to get my print & use it for whatever, I'll pass. I'm not hip on the Samsung Pay thing either. I over protective.

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Wasn't this discussed before, like it had to be an actually live finger with blood flowing to activate the fingerprint scanner.

Apparently a fingerprint from a severed dead finger won't work, but printed ones on glossy paper will?
    th.jpg

5. psionandy

Ahh... Last time is was gummy bears that was the way to do it... This time it's a really clever way of using some custom circuit board printing software, metallic ink and an ink jet printer.

It gives you a fingerprint and the variable capacitance to fools the sensor... Blood flow doesn't seem to be required

6. psionandy

Isn't it stored securely on the device.. And never leaves it. The fingerprint (or more accurately the hash/signature that is generated from it) is verified on the device itself and then that is used to send the required token to Google if required.

I agree though changing all your fingerprints after a hack is a painful process.. And I'm not doing that again....

Samsung Galaxy S7 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S7 release date was March 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Exynos 8890 Octa processor, and 3000mAh battery.

March 2016
Release Date
Reviews