• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hacking (gasp) APK

Boowho

Mar 20, 2019
There are tools for this, but I only want to update a VERY old APK that originally came from Google Play and now seems to be pretty much abandonware.

Works fine on my old phone (Android 7) , but does nothing on Android 11.

I have several tools to help with this, but have no idea how to use them.

Maybe something as simple as changing the SDK version?? Need advice.

Boowho

I don't think that only changing the SDK version will work for that very old apk.
Google introduced the notion of scoped storage in Android 10, which improves user control and privacy. And scoped storage is mandatory for all apps targeting Android 11.
So, maybe you will have to change more on the source code in order for the app to work on Android 11 devices.

Reactions: Hadron and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, James. And the tip about scoped storage. In reality I've been a developer for over 30 years, although never on Android.

Also I've been retired for several years and have no interest in learning something new.....

But to get the APK to work again?? Who knows.
Okay, I see.
Check if the developer of that app has published a new version targeting Android 11 on Play Store. Good luck to you.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Well you can't even FIND the Dev..... Email no answer; web site completely gone and domain for sale.

In a casual look into this, it appears the entire Android design paradigm has changed several times over the years. For example, some APK's contain DEX files, others do not. I've observed other differences as well; Smali files for example.

Nothing like adding complexity to an already difficult project, eh?? <grumble>

Upvote 0
There are tools for this, but I only want to update a VERY old APK that originally came from Google Play and now seems to be pretty much abandonware.

Works fine on my old phone (Android 7) , but does nothing on Android 11.

I have several tools to help with this, but have no idea how to use them.

Maybe something as simple as changing the SDK version?? Need advice.

Boowho
If you want to update an old APK that is no longer supported and is not compatible with newer versions of Android, there are several things you can try.

1. Change the target SDK version: The first thing to try is to change the target SDK version of the app to a newer version. You can do this by decompiling the APK file, editing the AndroidManifest.xml file, and changing the value of the "targetSdkVersion" attribute to a higher number that is compatible with the Android version you want to run the app on. Keep in mind that this may not always work, as there may be other compatibility issues that prevent the app from running on newer versions of Android.
  2. Use an emulator: Another option is to use an Android emulator to run the app on your computer. This can be done using tools like Android Studio or Genymotion. Emulators allow you to simulate different versions of Android and test the app to see if it works on newer versions.
  3. Use a compatibility layer: There are also compatibility layers like "Android Runtime for Chrome" (ARC Welder) or "Anbox" that allow you to run Android apps on non-Android systems like Chrome OS or Linux. These tools can be useful if you want to run an old Android app on a non-Android device.
  4. Use an app wrapper: Finally, you can use an app wrapper tool like "Expo" or "PhoneGap" to package the old APK as a web-based app that can run on multiple platforms. This can be a good option if you want to make the app available to users on different devices or operating systems.
Keep in mind that these options may not always work, as there may be other compatibility issues or limitations that prevent the app from running on newer versions of Android. It's always a good idea to test the app thoroughly after making any changes or modifications to ensure that it works as expected.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
If you want to update an old APK that is no longer supported and is not compatible with newer versions of Android, there are several things you can try.

1. Change the target SDK version: The first thing to try is to change the target SDK version of the app to a newer version. You can do this by decompiling the APK file, editing the AndroidManifest.xml file, and changing the value of the "targetSdkVersion" attribute to a higher number that is compatible with the Android version you want to run the app on. Keep in mind that this may not always work, as there may be other compatibility issues that prevent the app from running on newer versions of Android.
  2. Use an emulator: Another option is to use an Android emulator to run the app on your computer. This can be done using tools like Android Studio or Genymotion. Emulators allow you to simulate different versions of Android and test the app to see if it works on newer versions.
  3. Use a compatibility layer: There are also compatibility layers like "Android Runtime for Chrome" (ARC Welder) or "Anbox" that allow you to run Android apps on non-Android systems like Chrome OS or Linux. These tools can be useful if you want to run an old Android app on a non-Android device.
  4. Use an app wrapper: Finally, you can use an app wrapper tool like "Expo" or "PhoneGap" to package the old APK as a web-based app that can run on multiple platforms. This can be a good option if you want to make the app available to users on different devices or operating systems.
Keep in mind that these options may not always work, as there may be other compatibility issues or limitations that prevent the app from running on newer versions of Android. It's always a good idea to test the app thoroughly after making any changes or modifications to ensure that it works as expected.
Thanks ever so much!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones