• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Had to go back to stock 2.2

Andrewdroid

Sep 28, 2010
Gotham
I had Serendipity 6.3, but it was draining power so badly. I tried every trick in the book to fix it. I was going to go to Cog 4.3, but people have said it had all sorts of 'sleep death' issues.

Anyway, nothing seemed to work so I went to stock 2.2. My power drain went away. Problem is I'm so used to the custom roms, that I've had to hack away at it (XDA Forums is my friend) to try to fix it the way I'd like.

=(. I really liked Serendipity as well.

hmmm. did you have any battery/memory intensive background apps/services running at all?

even granted ive only just flashed to Serendipity 6.3 three days ago, still, ive had my phone unplugged all day sine i woke up around 9am, and its not 4:38pm, and my battery meter is damn near full still. not even 1 "section" of the battery meter is gone yet. im having great battery life as of now.

Upvote 0
I had Serendipity 6.3, but it was draining power so badly. I tried every trick in the book to fix it. I was going to go to Cog 4.3, but people have said it had all sorts of 'sleep death' issues.

Anyway, nothing seemed to work so I went to stock 2.2. My power drain went away. Problem is I'm so used to the custom roms, that I've had to hack away at it (XDA Forums is my friend) to try to fix it the way I'd like.

=(. I really liked Serendipity as well.

After flashing any ROM or kernel, it's recommended that you do a battery recalibration. Had you done that since you went to Serendipity? I was on 6.3 a little while ago and with that 500 Hz SpeedMod kernel that comes stock in it, my battery started lasting like 36 hours with pretty heavy usage. If you try this recalibration and it still doesn't fix it, I would try a different kernel. The lower the Hz, the more battery efficient it's going to be. So you could try like the Onix 2.0.3 100 Hz build (I know it's currently on 2.0.4, but it's still a little buggy). The kernel is really what's going to help with your battery life. Also, what modem is your phone running?

Here's a good link to show you how to do a recalibration.

Recalibrating Your Battery Stats... - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I'm gonna try this and let you know how it goes. I wasn't messing with the modem, so whatever Serendipity included was what I got. I think UGJk4. What the heck do you have that gets you 36 hrs?

I'll try reflashing Serendipity and try this. I also used a lot of the add-ons in the 'kitchen', I wonder if that would affect anything.

Upvote 0
Also after recalibrating, does it take a while for the battery to adjust itself again?

Yeah, it's supposed to take three to five full charge cycles before it gets itself back in order.

I think what's really saving my battery is the JuiceDefender. I have used both the beta and the stable version, along with UltimateJuice, which cost me like $5.00. It gives you an approximation of how much it's increasing your battery life, and mine says 2.12. So more than double what my life would normally be. I don't know if you've tried it, but I'd suggest giving it a shot.

Upvote 0
Something I forgot to mention about JuiceDefender. One of the ways it works is that you can set it to disable your data while your screen is off. So it saves a huge amount of power with that. Then you can change the settings to how often it will reconnect to data while the phone is asleep (just to check for new notifications and emails and such). You'll see a big difference in the amount of power consumed while your phone is idle.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I went back to Serendipity to try the battery fix thing, and I *think* it worked. I'm crossing my fingers that it will continue to work and I'll do more testing.

One more thing I found on the web to save battery on Serendipity... possibly disabling the HSDPA and going to 3G only.

Tourist In Paradise: Samsung Galaxy S: Turn off HSPA to improve battery life

The battery fix works perfectly, just do as people say, discharge all the way to 0 then charge to 100 percent maybe 3-5 times it'll make your battery last for a long time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones