1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Handbrake Help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gibbs1984, Jun 1, 2010.

1. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Android Expert

Hi all,

I've converted a movie from .avi to m4v (says MP4 in Handbrake) but the quality on my Desire was very pixelly (is that a word?) although on my computer it's a DVD copy.

I'm trying a different way of converting it via Handbrake to see if I can up the quality but is there something I should be doing, any tips for getting good quality?

2. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Android Expert

Well, that didn't go well, no picture the second time, I'm not very good at this converting lark :(

3. AnthonyS

AnthonyS Newbie

Settings I used converting from a DVD on PC to mp4. Under a 'new' Preset:

Container: MP4
    Filename: <Your_Filename>.mp4

My source video size was 720x576. I set this to 448x192. 800*480 is screen size, this worked for me though. It also worked with res 720 x 304 (Keep Aspect Ratio enabled). 720x436 also worked. I was having problems with some resolutions but eventually found these to work. I think it may have something to do with the source video size.

Video Filter: Default
    Video: Video Codec: H.264 (Which I believe is default) - Avg Bit Rate 950. Rest Default.
    Audio: Deleted any listed entry
    Selected 'English AC3 5.1ch' as 'source'
    Selected 'AAC (faac) as 'audio codec
    Selected 'Stero' as 'mixdown'
    Sample Rate: 44.1
    Bit Rate: 128
    <Add Track>
    Subtitles - Chapters - Advanced: default

It took a while to get a decent rip, the higher the resolution the crisper it will look though. I found Mixzing made some rips full screen regardless of the file resolution too. The above can probably be improved upon greatly but I settled at that. I think the video Avg Bitrate is one of the important points.

4. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Android Expert

Thanks for the reply, I'll give that a go tomorrow :)

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews