1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Handcent and Default Messaging

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shorty_ryan05, Feb 28, 2011.

1. shorty_ryan05

shorty_ryan05 Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    I took my phone to the Sprint store and had them update it for me. Everything seems to be running fine, however, I can't get one setting like it was before on 2.1. If anyone has updated to Android 2.2 and uses Handcent for the messaging program, hopefully you can assist with this issue:

In the default messaging application, I have disabled "auto-retreive" and disabled "notifications". In Handcent, I have those same notifications enabled. My problem is that I am still getting a little number notification down on the default messaging application of how many unread messages I have on the bottom status bar. When I read the message in Handcent and go back to the home screen, the number notifcation is still on the default application for messaging. I have noticed that text messaging now shows up under the logs on the call menu, could this be the issue? If so, is there a way to fix this that I am unaware?

Advertisement

2. superdugge

superdugge Lurker
    None

Oct 5, 2010
    michigan

mine is the same way something to do with 2.2 update lol but if you just open up you stock messanger and close it. it goes away

3. Peachblossum

Peachblossum Lurker
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    Anaheim, CA
    I have the same issue & I totally hate it. Wish this could get resolved QUICK

4. icecold

icecold Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    WI
    I am assuming you are talking about the Messaging app shortcut on the bottom task bar, the row that shows up on all of your homescreens?

You could just replace that with the handcent one, and then you don't have anything to worry about.

1) Click on Applications on the bottom right.
    2) Switch to Grid View
    3) Hit the menu button and pick EDIT.
    4) Drag Messaging off the bottom task bar.
    5) Drag Handcent onto the the task bar.

I also took contacts off since you can access them from the Phone App...

EDIT: Handcent works over the top of the stock Messaging app, so even if you are using a 3rd party app like Handcent, the stock one will still have all the messages in it if you open it.

5. Gbones

Gbones Newbie
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    i posed the same issue here:
    http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-su...change-messaging-button-default-handcent.html

Thanks thats good to know! But still, i want it just to default to handcent for 2 reasons:
    1. I cant rename the name of the App so "Handcent SMS" truncates in my home screen.
    2. The "Messaging" application still shows how many unread messages I have. For example... When i select applications the "Messaging" icon will show '10'
    Any Help?

6. icecold

icecold Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    WI

Handcent works on top of the stock messanging app, so if that is a default of the app icon, I don't think there is anything you can do about it... At least not that I have seen yet.