• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent and Messaging

sxelsharif

Lurker
Jun 26, 2010
Hey guys,

I just recently got my HTC hero and I have a question about the messaging app. First of all, I am currently using Handcent mainly because if you use the stock app, texts always show up on the lock screen even if you are using the pattern lock. That is annoying, and I don't understand what the point of the pattern lock is if you can just see my texts without having to even unlock my phone...anyway, so I am using handcent and it's fine. I've made sure to remove notifications on the stock app so that I don't get double notifications, but my question is: is there a way to delete the stock app? I mean is the phone going to slow down since it is getting texts from 2 apps, does that make sense? Even though the notifications are disabled for the stock app, the texts still go there and they are also going to handcent...So basically i would like to know if:

1. i can delete the stock app (i have rooted my phone so...)
2. does it matter that the phone is pulling texts to two different apps
3. is there a way to make my texts not go to my lock screen, if so i would just not use handcent

Finally, on handcent, i will oftentimes get a text twice from people. does anyone have this problem?

Ok tahnks!

Don't delete the stock messaging app, if you still want to be able to send and receive messages. Handcent relys on that to actually receive them, Handcent just displays them for you.

Sorry, I can't answer the question about stopping the mesages from appearing on the lock screen. I use handcent, and I have mine set to popup on the lockscreen, I like this. Different strokes.

Upvote 0
Don't delete the stock messaging app, if you still want to be able to send and receive messages. Handcent relys on that to actually receive them, Handcent just displays them for you.

Sorry, I can't answer the question about stopping the mesages from appearing on the lock screen. I use handcent, and I have mine set to popup on the lockscreen, I like this. Different strokes.

I have recently rooted and now using rooted stock 2.1. I downloaded handcent and...1. Copy and pasted Mms.apk from system>app to my sd along with the corresponding odex in case I needed a back up 2. deleted Mms.apk from the root 3. sent and received txt and pic txt. Deleting Mms.apk will take away the messaging app in the app drawer as well as make handcent your default messaging app. I did not delete any other corresponding root apk (media uploader and 1 other...) I am txting fine.

Able to delete Mms.apk and odex without affecting txting and mms capabilities. I'll let you know if that changed

Warning: Even though I copy and pasted the apk, when I went to install it again for thoroughness, I was unable to. txting with handcent works fine, but I have a feeling I will have to run the ruu 2.1...5 to get it back.

Upvote 0
I think what he means about getting a text twice is he gets 2 notifications...? If that is what you mean, then go into your apps and select "messages" (not handcent) then hit menu>settings and uncheck autoretrieve and received notification

Careful...doesn't Handcent ride on top of the native app as a wrapper? Will turning off autoretrieve mess him up?

Does he have multiple third-party SMS/MMS apps? For example, I was once getting dual notifications once when I forgot to disable or uninstall the stand-alone pop-up messaging app I installed to go with Chomp when I was testing Chomp vs. Handcent. I decided on the latter, but forgot to turn off the other pop-up notifier I had paired with Chomp...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones