• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent and Voice Recognition!????

Up until Friday I had Voice Search on my Hero, it also worked with Handcent. I don't know what I've done but its gone! I live in the UK and would love to get this back, I tried using the peejay kindly provided but it force closes.

If I factory reset my phone will it come back? I assume I've uninstalled it by mistake. I'd had a few ;)

Cheers in advance Al

Upvote 0
Ignore my last post! :eek:

If you got to this part of the link mez provided:

The voice search APK file is available here This file active the speech recognition in a Magic with Cupcake (Donut seems not supported)

Download and install via sync it works perfectly on my UK phone running the 1.5 firmware.

Thanks mez for the great link.

Cheers Al

Reactions: -V-O-Y-A-G-E-R-
Upvote 0
I am currently in South Korea, and the search by voice app is not available here--it has been put on hold until they release a version that supports Korean language. I would be just as happy to find the app with English only for now, but I can't seem to find a mirror anywhere. Does anyone know of somewhere hosting this, or can someone set it up? BTW I'm using 2.1.

Thanks for any help

Upvote 0
Ignore my last post! :eek:

If you got to this part of the link mez provided:

The voice search APK file is available here This file active the speech recognition in a Magic with Cupcake (Donut seems not supported)

Download and install via sync it works perfectly on my UK phone running the 1.5 firmware.

Thanks mez for the great link.

Cheers Al

It crashes on Desire with 2.1. Could anyone spare a newer version?

Upvote 0
Hi everybody,

I'm developing an android application to dictate and save the dictation using webservices. But I'm stucking at the first step, it means I can't realy figer out how to code the dictation itself, I found alot of stuf on internet but non of them is working.
Can anybody help me please....:(

Best regards,
Nadaaaa

Upvote 0
I am in London and put a vodaphone SIM in my Sprint Photon. The voice recognition which worked brilliantly in the US is now so poor as to be useless. Any ideas?

A few things: First, Google Search by Voice is only available in certain regions right now for beta testing (such as the UK). Second, the Hero doesn't work with voice recognition because it is lacking an importand package, android.speech.

I've been talking with the HTC support people about this, but it seems that I know more about the subject than they do (as it is with most tech support people these days).

It appears that Google Search by Voice includes this package, allowing all apps that rely on the Google Voice Recognition service to work. Hopaefully though, HTC will address this feature in their next update and we wont have to rely on the app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones