• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent gets better and better!

I'd be frustrated too but I think we blame the apps too much when it might be location or network issues. I have 2 Moto Droids and I MMS my wife inside my Govt. building with a metal roof with one Verizon bar but the 3G is still rockin and she gets every MMS/SMS I send and vice versa. We've both had Handcent since Thanksgiving and it's been nothing but flawless and I don't think they made a special version of Handcent just for me. Just sayin...

I had 3-4 bars of reception and 3G and was stationary at my computer desk in my home office so I'm not buying the system cop out. It's the app. You also can't blame the instability, force closes, slow response/load times or other common reported issues on the system or coverage. You also can't call the fact the SO many people are reporting the same issues coincidence. You are the exception to the rule. Instead of all this fluff that's being tacked on the dev(s) need to get back to the basics and make the app work or before they know it something better will come along or people will just give up once and for all. It's almost offensive that users are reporting so many bugs and they release an update filled with crappy Christmas cards that do nothing but take up memory & claim to have increased responsiveness and quickness. BS.

Upvote 0
I dont see your logic in saying im the "exception to the rule" look at all the user comments on handcent in the market. Just actually go and count the positives vs. the negatives then come back and tell me i'm the exception when in reality, it is YOU.

I have a feeling that lost of people, myself included, are reserving comments until it gets fixed since it can't be taken back. The app is still under development so most users are going to give the benefit of the doubt that issues will be addressed. They instead post to forums to see if it's unique to them or a common occurrence and contact the dev(s). Personally I don't leave negative feedback until I give up on an app and then it's a final step before uninstalling permanently.

Upvote 0
I have a feeling that lost of people, myself included, are reserving comments until it gets fixed since it can't be taken back. The app is still under development so most users are going to give the benefit of the doubt that issues will be addressed. They instead post to forums to see if it's unique to them or a common occurrence and contact the dev(s). Personally I don't leave negative feedback until I give up on an app and then it's a final step before uninstalling permanently.

Office_Space_asskick.jpg

Upvote 0
That makes no sense. If they don't know about a problem how would they begin to fix it? When the product is released for the most part all known issue to them are addressed. When the users start configuring it and notice something is missing then you post up and see if anyone else is having the problem to make sure it is not an isolated issue. Feature requests are important too. I mean does everyone like coffee? And if they do does everyone like it black? Or do some like tea, while some like coffee sweet and light. etc

Upvote 0
Did your friend have Handcent when he sent you the MMS?
Did you receive the MMS with the default messaging program? If not, I would say it's more your friend's issue than it is Handcent.

Maybe I have been in I.T. too long but I just can't make blanket statements like "Handcent doesn't work because I didn't receive one MMS" without at least trying some other options. Like uninstalling Handcent and having the friend resend the MMS. If it came through then, then HC could be the culprit. If it didn't, I would be looking at my connection or my friend's.

I've sent and received several images via MMS using Handcent since installing it sometime last year (June-July time period). I've received a few messages where the image could not be sent but I tried again later and it sent with no problem.

Upvote 0
I got a question, since we're on the Handcent topic. In all it's customization I haven't come across a way to change the color of the read vs unread texts. I know they're bold when not read, but was wondering if this could be changed. If not, Handcent, are you listening?

I believe correct me if I am wrong. When you change the color of the bubble or change the color of received text you can change it there.

Upvote 0
I haven't installed Handcent again after switching to the BBeast ROM but when I was using it there were some of my contacts that would display the wrong person in the conversation. Like whenever my girlfriend Stephanie would send me messages it always said they were coming from my friend Sterling, which is right next to her in my contact list. The stock messaging app displayed this correctly for the same messages.

Upvote 0
eh. other than changing the looks to something more interesting it doesn't do a lot. the one thing i did really like about it though is the ability to change the notification LED to flash a different color for messages. it was nice to know whether i just got an email or a sms without even picking up my phone.

Upvote 0
eh. other than changing the looks to something more interesting it doesn't do a lot. the one thing i did really like about it though is the ability to change the notification LED to flash a different color for messages. it was nice to know whether i just got an email or a sms without even picking up my phone.
Tried it. Really could not see any advantage over built in SMS app.
The biggest advantage I find with it is the popup box which lets me reply as soon as I get the message. Also, the UI changes make it a much nicer app to read through old messages. Then there's the search function. And Batch mode, which allows me to send to groups of contacts. And that's just the stuff I use, there's loads more options in there

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones