• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent issue after upgrading to JB

slanch

Jun 6, 2010
I (finally) got my update to JB this morning and gleefully installed it.

However, ever since, each time I receive a text message and then read it, Handcent serves up another notification saying I have like, 120 unread messages. What I really have is NO new messages but that many threads.

I've tried having the app "Mark All as Read" but the issue still pops up.

Any idea on how to stop this besides just having to swipe away the second notification every time it pops up?

However, ever since, each time I receive a text message and then read it, Handcent serves up another notification saying I have like, 120 unread messages. What I really have is NO new messages but that many threads.

Any idea on how to stop this besides just having to swipe away the second notification every time it pops up?

did that. Same issue and now i have to reset all the custom things i did in Handcent...

any other ideas?

ummm if reinstalling the app didnt work try clearing app data/cache and then reinstalling the app...

the next tip unfortunately is probably gonna be doing a factory reset wiping all of the data off your phone and starting from scratch...perhaps if there was a new update for handscent it could be causing the issue? sometimes new updates have uncaught bugs that still need patching up? :p
my phone udated early this morning to jelly bean and when it first updated, handscent said i had 3 unread messages when the messages it marked as unread were from last week...but once i cleaned my inbox it didnt do that again...i would perhaps try just deleting the whole inbox if you dont wanna have to redo all the custom settings and icons and whatnot within handscent

Upvote 0
I had been a loyal Handcent user for the last few years. A few months ago, it got to the point where it would hang up constantly, sometimes taking a few minutes to get going again. It would cause my phone to act up. I was on the stock ICS ROM, no root. I eventually made the switch to GO SMS Pro and I have not looked back. Just too many bloat issues with Handcent to deal with.

Upvote 0

I had the exact same issue after updating. For me, it would be any threads with MMS messages that would stay in the notification bar. I just did the batch mode deleting option and deleted any and all group threads (since those are mms messages). After that, the number of messages in the notification bar were cut down significantly and I was able to go to each name it said and just click the thread and the number in the notification would go down one by one. It'll save you from clicking every single thread since its not all of them that are showing up.

Hope this helps whoever is reading this thread. It's 2 years late, but if I stumbled upon this on google I'm sure others will too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones