• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent issues.

Jmtegra

Android Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2010
Pensacola, FL
Im running 2.1v3 and for some reason when i open handcent the only messages that show up are the ones from my girlfriend. If someone else texts me i will still get the notification pop up but they wont have a thread in the hancent app, i have to go to the native messaging app to view the thread. Any help would be appreciated thanks. :thinking:

Im running 2.1v3 and for some reason when i open handcent the only messages that show up are the ones from my girlfriend. If someone else texts me i will still get the notification pop up but they wont have a thread in the hancent app, i have to go to the native messaging app to view the thread. Any help would be appreciated thanks. :thinking:

Open stock message app>Menu>Settings>Turn off Autoretrieve and Notifications. See if that works for you. if it doesn't, go Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Messages>Clear Defaults, wait till your next text and it will ask if you want to open with Handcent or Messages, click use as default check box and then select Handcent.

Another Handcent problem, lately, Handcent has started acting up on me and keeping the phone awake. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it still did it, anyone else had this problem and resolved it.

Upvote 0
Another Handcent problem, lately, Handcent has started acting up on me and keeping the phone awake. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it still did it, anyone else had this problem and resolved it.

I've tried Handcent twice and both times noticed increase battery drain. I also had a lot of lag when I would load my messages list.

I settled for the stock messaging program with SMS Popup to wake up my screen.

Upvote 0
I've tried Handcent twice and both times noticed increase battery drain. I also had a lot of lag when I would load my messages list.

I settled for the stock messaging program with SMS Popup to wake up my screen.

It hasn't really been a problem for me battery wise (I'm at 83% with 8 hours on) just wondering if I'm the only one that it has acted up on.

Upvote 0
Handcent's awake issue is tied to it's pop-up somehow and only after the latest update. I turned the pop-up off and it's sleeping normally again.

I'm pretty sure I have the latest update, and I do use the pop-up, but I'm not experiencing any awake issues. My phone currently has an up time of about 84 hours and an awake time of 36 hours (43%.)

The only issue I had was lagginess of the full QWERTY (non-compact) using the pop-up. It's better now that I turned off "blur background" in the pop-up settings window.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I have the latest update, and I do use the pop-up, but I'm not experiencing any awake issues. My phone currently has an up time of about 84 hours and an awake time of 36 hours (43%.)

The only issue I had was lagginess of the full QWERTY (non-compact) using the pop-up. It's better now that I turned off "blur background" in the pop-up settings window.

Huh, maybe it was only on my phone then. But I did everything, tweaked all the settings, and the pop up still somehow kept my partial awake time over the System. I'm not happy about that, I really liked not having to go to the individual threads every time.

Upvote 0
Huh, maybe it was only on my phone then. But I did everything, tweaked all the settings, and the pop up still somehow kept my partial awake time over the System. I'm not happy about that, I really liked not having to go to the individual threads every time.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I don't leave my pop-ups on the screen for long. Basically, as soon as I get a message, I use the quick-reply to respond. That's the main reason I use Handcent. Are you leaving pop-ups on-screen for a long time...as in, is the phone re-sleeping with the pop-up active?

Upvote 0
I don't know if it makes a difference, but I don't leave my pop-ups on the screen for long. Basically, as soon as I get a message, I use the quick-reply to respond. That's the main reason I use Handcent. Are you leaving pop-ups on-screen for a long time...as in, is the phone re-sleeping with the pop-up active?

See I thought of that too, and at times, I haven't been able to answer the messages for a half an hour or so, so that very well could be the problem, but there isn't much I can do about those times that I can't get to it.

Upvote 0
See I thought of that too, and at times, I haven't been able to answer the messages for a half an hour or so, so that very well could be the problem, but there isn't much I can do about those times that I can't get to it.

Exactly, and that *shouldn't* be a problem, but maybe it's a bug with Handcent. Maybe the pop-up keeps the phone awake until it is closed? I wouldn't think that would be overlooked by the devs, but I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
Exactly, and that *shouldn't* be a problem, but maybe it's a bug with Handcent. Maybe the pop-up keeps the phone awake until it is closed? I wouldn't think that would be overlooked by the devs, but I could be wrong.

It very well could be that exactly. Definitely should not have been overlooked, but I can't complain to much about a free app i guess.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones