• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent SMS: Adds features that stock messenger app leaves out

For all those still using the factory SMS app, why? All you need to do is take this app for a test drive and you will never look back. The first thing that you will notice is that this app is really really customizable, I mean down to fonts for incoming/outgoing messages, background colors, conversation styles, everything.

As an example, if its what you're into you can use the Bubble setting to mimic text bubbles from the old days of comics,
06a056caccbf96a9bd3b420c615115db.jpg
or if like me you prefer a more straight forward conversation style you can simply have it stream lined in.

Probably one of the best features that this app has that the pre-installed SMS app is missing would be the ability to have a pop-up come up when you receive a new message.
b239630b9ec8dbfee709762eae7c6fc4.jpg

Coming from the Palm Centro where this was standard, I was disappointed to realize at first that the Stock SMS app didn't have this feature. Luckily with Handcent SMS you don't have anything to worry about. This baby will have a little dialog box that pops up that will let you do a number of things, all without having to go to the app itself. It lets you quick respond through text or voice, how sweet is that?

efabf181b7cbfce188b7c77b2288c0e1.jpg

All in all you really cant beat this app, and the price is definitely right at FREE.
So what have you got to lose? Give it a try today.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones