• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent SMS/ChompSMS

quentinfisher

Oct 13, 2009
Arizona
Some things I've noticed after using each one for a day, and they have me quite baffled.

ChompSMS seems to do more for the battery(in my case at least). Displaying a 19% awake time, compared to a 100% awake time with my handcent SMS, still haven't figured that out, anyone else getting similar results?

ChompSMS started bugging on me not recognizing the orientation of my phone? Uninstalled, installed and reset my phone seems to be working fine, Handcent however was stable and solid the whole time.

ChompSMS takes up LESS memory. With only Screebl Lite and Advanced Task Killer up I was seeing 53 available memory with HandcentSMS installed compared to 81 with ChompSMS installed, someone care to confirm this?

All this leads me to believe that ChompSMS is the better alternative messaging app based on statistics, but of course personal preference should be considered too. Would like to see more people compare and contrast these two and post results also.

I'm getting a normal amount of awake time with Handcent, I'd try your test again. I haven't tried chomp sms yet just because I read it doesn't handle mms.

I heard that too {not a big user of MMS so Can't confirm myself } but have a look at chomp sms's website: chompSMS

On the right it says "Upcoming new Features" and underneath it says....

** Delivery Reports

** Composing & Forwarding of MMS messages!

Looks like It could be supporting MMS very shortly !

Carl C ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones