1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Handcent SMS contact ringtones

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by whisperz433, Dec 22, 2009.

1. whisperz433

whisperz433 New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I've read that you can assign custom ringotnes for contacts on Handcent, but can't figure it out. A little help please???

Advertisement

2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Mortgage Underwriter
    Rochester, NY
    Can't seem to find that anywhere in Handcent. I know you can set ringtones for contacts by default in Android in the contacts app, but I don't know if that applies to texts messages.

3. ceruti82

ceruti82 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Cali
    go into handcent,
    choose a contact,
    click the button in upper right corner,
    choose notification settings,
    choose select ringtone,
    then select your tone.
    all set :)

you can customize SOOO many things with handcent: the icon for incoming text, the LED color, the way it vibrates, custom signatures for different contacts...etc.. its super customizable!

i learned it all by just playing around with it, i LOVE handcent!

4. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Ceruti, I couldn't get HandCent to vibrate on notification no matter what I had it set to. Just didn't do it.

There has been an update since, so maybe it will work now? I'll give it a try.

ADDED: Just tried. No vibrate. I set it to vibrate always, and test notification... it plays the sound I set, but no vibe. Tried different vibrate patterns, still nothing.

5. ceruti82

ceruti82 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Cali
    hmm, i"ve never had any issues with that..
    but i have noticed one thing about the custom VIBRATE PATTERN function.. you have to have the CUSTOM numbers set to be 0,xx,xx,xx or it wont vibrate.. put a ZERO as the first number, see if that works.. i just tested it out with mine..

i have mine set as: 0,170 for example, and that works fine...

there was just another update yesterday, maybe update it again if you havent ??
    or email the dev for help.. i have emailed a few app developers, and have gotten replies within the hour usually.. they seem to really want to keep us happy !

6. whisperz433

whisperz433 New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Got it! thanks for the help!!

7. DroidSloth

DroidSloth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    With normal or custom starting with zero, I still cannot get my phone to vibrate on new texts. Getting insanely frustrating.

Just did a full factory reset / wipe, formatted my sd card so I would think all settings are gone. With the phone set to vibrate and the stock messaging app set to notifications: yes and vibrate: yes, still no vibrate. Handcent re-installed and configured to vibrate: always, pattern: normal... still refuses to vibrate.