• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent vs Chomp SMS vs Stock

which messaging app

• Handcent

Votes: 87 58.8%
  • Chomp SMS

Votes: 26 17.6%
  • Stock

Votes: 35 23.6%

• Total voters

mcchriswood

Mar 3, 2010
Currently using the stock HTC messaging app on my Desire but have been debating Handcent and have seen a few mention Chomp SMS.
What do you guys all prefer??
If i did decide too go with Handcent how can i stop my messages coming through as standard notifications through the stock messaging app??
Come on guys tell me why i should change :)
Thanks

ChompSMS all the way!

Best messaging app there is available in my opinion.
Awesome "Customer service". The dev really listens to the users and there
initiatives/problems.

They have a forum where you can put your thought on and within a couple of hours
there is a reply from the devs.

It has a quick reply function that really is great in every way
and the customization is great to. It's also allowing custom fonts.

Upvote 0
decided too change too handcent;
Love the little fact that you can change the colour of the led when a message is recieved.
Not overly impressed by the medium widget though although it does take up less space i would have liked something a little different.
on a different note i have recently downloaded around 30 or so apps.
Do you think this will massively slow my phone down or anything - i know some people have hundreds im just probably paranoid.
Also will downloading and then deleting an app have any ill effect?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Stock in conjunction with Missed Reminder.

Have used both of the other two but neither let me send or receive picture messages. Also, found Handcent quite laggy at times. I do quite miss the bubbles though!!

what are you talking about? BOTH support MMS.... thumbnails appear in the message bubbles. they download automatically when viewed.

Upvote 0
Also on Handcent is there a way that when i go too write a new SMS and click the + to enter a contact in i can see only the phone contacts rather than sim and phone contacts as this does get rather frustrating sifting through 2 of everything??
And do you guys save your numbers in general too the sim or to the phone

Upvote 0
Also on Handcent is there a way that when i go too write a new SMS and click the + to enter a contact in i can see only the phone contacts rather than sim and phone contacts as this does get rather frustrating sifting through 2 of everything??
And do you guys save your numbers in general too the sim or to the phone

I save to both and have not had that problem what so ever. I haven't looked at the customization of Handcent for a while until today and I notice there are a lot more customizations than before, like the fact you can can fully customize the screen color using an RGB slider, as well as as the blinking lightS...So I am happy with it.

Upvote 0
what are you talking about? BOTH support MMS.... thumbnails appear in the message bubbles. they download automatically when viewed.

Your timing is perfect. I just received an MMS from a friend and all I got in Handcent was a download button which never seemed to download the attachment. I grabbed ChompMMS and it automatically downloaded and showed me the attachment.

All that for a 7kb PG-13 picture. No, I will not post it here. ;)

PS. I'm using the free versions of both.

Upvote 0
I liked chomp (or was it handcent? well, one of those two) with one exception. When I'd get my 2 or 3 daily photos of my Great Grandson, and try to save them to my phone, it always saved it as the same file name and never gave me anyway to rename it, so it overwrote the old image with the new. I couldn't have that, so back to stock for me.

Upvote 0
Well Handcent is totally crapping out since Froyo 2.2..... I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice to no avail... I can't delete threads without it totally crashing and I've noticed the whole phone is faster when its not installed.

Also not sure if I should blame it for my random restarts or not.. but I'm seriously looking for an alternative after being faithful to handcent since the beginning of Droid Moto.

I may have to try Chomp.

Upvote 0
Well Handcent is totally crapping out since Froyo 2.2..... I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice to no avail... I can't delete threads without it totally crashing and I've noticed the whole phone is faster when its not installed.

Also not sure if I should blame it for my random restarts or not.. but I'm seriously looking for an alternative after being faithful to handcent since the beginning of Droid Moto.

I may have to try Chomp.

Is handcent still crashing, or has the problem been fixed?

Upvote 0
I really like Go SMS, which has most, if not all, of Handcent's feature. It's free with popup (optional) and many themes.

Wow.. really!...... handcent has so many feature, tweaks, and customizations I never imagined any better.
Chomp was nice but still less than Handcent.

If you have tried handcent recently, maybe I'll have to test out Go SMS.

Upvote 0
Used handcent for a while and I liked it but after I tried Chomp I liked it a little better ( not much but better due to no lag) BUT I then saw and tried GO SMS and it was the winner . I like GO SMS best with Chomp a close second, Had way too many issues and forced closes with Handcent and way laggy with every update. I say give GO SMS a try. its also as far as I can tell a smaller program memory wise and has all the features.

For me SMS GO the winner.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones