1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Handcent.....worth it ????

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alowen, Feb 17, 2011.

1. alowen

alowen Newbie

Hi all, being a nearly year long Desire owner, im getting itchy feet with the standard sms. Is Handcent all that ?

Advertisement

Run3 and mikewan50 like this.
  2. HTC desired

HTC desired Member

I mainly use it for the quick reply feature find that it is a bit quicker and more responsive than stock sms

3. lekky

lekky Lover

It's free, so yes. I'd suggest gosms instead though, looks nicer :)

widehead, rtb35 and mvh like this.
  4. formicae

formicae Member

Give ChompSMS a try, it's pretty great.

5. lekky

lekky Lover

Doesn't chomp have ads?

6. formicae

formicae Member

In the settings dialogue I believe. I wouldn't know, I donated.

7. Michelle666

Michelle666 Well-Known Member

I recently changed from handscent to gosms, and much prefer it!

8. jimeller

jimeller Android Enthusiast

+1

9. Tommex

Tommex Well-Known Member

I use Handcent, but I think I'm gonna give GO SMS a try, it looks pretty nice.

10. fajita123

fajita123 Lurker

I use SwiftKey (got it when they had it 1/2 off) and I really like it.

11. mvh

mvh Well-Known Member

I just tried GoSMS and much prefer it over Handcent. Thanks for the tip!

12. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert

Another vote for GO Sms here. Free, no ads, you may as well try it or try them all.

13. Bomberman

Bomberman Android Enthusiast

I always used to use Handcent - it's very good. But I find that SMS Popup does all I really needed it for and is waaaay smaller.

14. BurnCK

BurnCK Well-Known Member

I prefered GoSMS but for some reason the widget would lock up every now and again....wouldn't work again until I removed the widget and then added it again. Happened quite a few times so I switched back to Handcent. Not much difference between them though.

I might try GoSMS again when it's had a few more updates, to see if I still have problems with the widget, but in the mean time Handcent does the job fine.

15. MikeC1408

MikeC1408 Android Enthusiast

Have been trying GoSMS off the back of this thread and have a strange issue (sorry for hijacking the thread :) )

When the pop up appears on my screen (lockscreen - widget locker) it only ever shows the text from the first SMS received after GoSMS was installed. I have to go into the app to see the new message.

Anyone else had this issue?

16. DesireMe

DesireMe Android Expert

I switched to Handcent last week. I'd been using the stock app and it did everything and looked fine. I then tried GoSMS for a few weeks, as i was trying their launcher. It's good, but there are a few bugs in it, which then prompted me to try Handcent again.

I notice that with both Go & Handcent i get less Sent errors. I still got a few with Go and it would continually make the Notification noise, couldn't turn it off, which was annoying. Plus with handcent you could control the SMS popup time, with Go it just flashed up.

Stock is still the best looking, but most send failures.

17. lekky

lekky Lover

is that message unread? Can you swipe to see the other message?

18. alowen

alowen Newbie

Hi Bomberman, i too have today just discovered SMSpopup. Its great, simple and just what i was looking for.

However, when i receive a pop up text and read or delete it the number 1 still appears over my messages icon????!?!?!??!

How do i get rid?

DO i still use the original mesages icon?

Any help appreciated.

Al

19. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Android Expert

I'm still using stock. However, I definitely need to get around to checking out GoSMS and Handcent.

20. MikeC1408

MikeC1408 Android Enthusiast

Nope, it has been read. The only way to see the new message is to close the pop up and open Go SMS. Gone back to stock for now.

21. lekky

lekky Lover

sounds like it just got stuck. i think if you cleared the cache it would have sorted it. Guessing it'll be ok next time you install it too :)

22. matttye

matttye Android Expert

+1 for GoSMS. Just installed it and I love it :D

23. LRMaggot

LRMaggot Newbie

Trying out both Handcent and Go at the moment. Fairly even so far. The only thing Handcent appears to do that Go doesn't is ask if you want to delete locked messages, which is a necessity for me. Handcent now slightly edging it.....

24. PawPaw

PawPaw Member

Used Handcent for long time but switched to Gosms about a month ago and think it's much better than handcent....

25. DesireMe

DesireMe Android Expert

You can also control the popup better with Handcent. Select time for showing, whether keyboard comes up, the style of popup and how the background reacts. Plus a few other tweaks (something missing from GoSMS) and a great feature.

Tags: