• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hands on with the nexus and my 1st impressions compared to my razr.

rankman

Sep 6, 2010
PA
So I briefly got some hands on with the galaxy nexus on Verizon and ill be getting more time later today and tomorrow and try and give my first impressions and what I think compared to my razr. Ill edit the post as I find more or if you want me to test something ill try to do it.

Size: Its not as big or clunky as I thought or read it to be. No Verizon branding on the front, just on the back plate. Its not to much thicker than the razr and feels nice on the hands.

Display: I compared both displays side by side and was impressed by both but the nexus higher resolution is noticeable and better to look at than the razr or any other device currently. I was very happy with my razr display but the nexus without question is sharper with the same great colors as the razr. I would even say it has slightly better Color when I compared with the same images, the greens looked more flush than the razr(The razr did not look bad at all though). Didn't expect that since there both super amoled.

Quadrant was something I was expecting to be ridiculous and after running it I got a lousy 1600. I wasn't expecting that but maybe ill try running it again later and see if it was a fluke.

Back up assistant and myVerizon where the only two apps I found from Verizon on there.

I will test the speed on 4g later when I get more time today. I'm still up in the air if ill keep my razr or exchange it for the nexus. Thought I'd share some first impressions and ill add on later today.

As rushmore asked 32GB or 16GB ? Also if you have a chance can you comment on some of the following:

reception (4g,3g,cell) comapred to the razr (historically samsung weak points)
audio quality in phone calls
max volume compare to the razr
battery life (ok this one is a lot harder since it normally takes a few days or week to gauge )
any other random comments :)

Upvote 0
Due to the fixed nav bar on the Nexus and the pentile display, the Rezound will be sharper and have a higher DPI. Net result will be about 20% higher active display with the Rezound.

No harm no foul, since likely waiting months for Flash and no microsd slot is thumbs down for me. Razr or Rezound seems a win, either way.

Given that the 16gb/32gb issue is the number one debate ATM, surprised the OP did not look, right off the bat.

Upvote 0
The sound sounded low on the nexus and slightly louder on the razr. The 4g speed test was equally matched. Both loading web pages at the same time. Its a 16gb version but I was told that may change. I turned the brightness al the way up on both and the whites where slightly whiter on the nexus not much but was evident and you could read the small print easier with that 720p display without zooming in . I couldn't test calling though sorry. Also i ran quadrant again and got a 1614. So im not sure whats up there. Also for people who where not sure the display on the home screen and when browsing the web is 4.3 like the razr. I compared the two and with the on screen keys it looks the same size so viewing is even except when watching videos, than you get the whole screen. I will test gps shortly btw

Upvote 0
So when both the Razr and Gnex had the brightness turned up to max, the Gnex had better color?

Is the screen overall "better", or "holy freakin cow better!!"?

That depends on the eye of the beholder but I think its overall better! Better sharpness and able to read without zooming most of the time and slightly brighter but not by much.(I will test the brightness again tomorrow because I forgot to turn off power saver in my browser settings which may have altered my results.)

It may just be me but the one change I don't like in ICS is that when you hit the menu key on the home screen it shows the recent apps instead of wallpaper, settings, manage apps etc. I'm very used to accessing my settings and apps through that method that It will be hard to break that habit.

Reactions: pm1066 and jroc
Upvote 0
Lol....my desire to own the Nexus drops a little bit more every day! Its as if there's never good news about it.

Nah...wait for it to hit. It will be a nice phone. It's never going to live up to the hype though. All the wasted homescreen space and perma search bar will burn through the new device love pretty quickly.

It's always the little things that become big things. Thats how I know a device is a keeper or not. When I first get it and I say to myself "Dang I'm not too crazy about the_insert little distraction here_

Then it's time to take it back.

It's like being with a hot woman. After you spent some time with her those weird moles on her breast that used to slightly bother you start to really turn you off :)

Upvote 0
I just don't get the delay. Ok, battery redesign, but that should be a simple matter of "Scotty, where's that power?", they turn up the dilithium crystals to 11, and done. There apparently isn't any VZW bloat to speak of. So why push things out to at least Dec 8? In other words, ridiculous VZW conspiracies aside (pushing Droid, hate lack of bloat, toying with fan base, pact with satan, etc), what's wrong with that phone?

I also wonder if all the predictions on massive Razr returns this week to keep in the14 day window are panning out. It's pretty clear the window between Razr and Gnex releases are now too big for a simple exchange.

Upvote 0
I just don't get the delay. Ok, battery redesign, but that should be a simple matter of "Scotty, where's that power?", they turn up the dilithium crystals to 11, and done. There apparently isn't any VZW bloat to speak of. So why push things out to at least Dec 8? In other words, ridiculous VZW conspiracies aside (pushing Droid, hate lack of bloat, toying with fan base, pact with satan, etc), what's wrong with that phone?

I also wonder if all the predictions on massive Razr returns this week to keep in the14 day window are panning out. It's pretty clear the window between Razr and Gnex releases are now too big for a simple exchange.

Perhaps by design, since two new premo devices already out. That is enough cluster ATM ;)

Seems the Gnez may be on line order only, but VZW stores are confused, since they have all the extras for the Gnex, but have also seen info saying in store AND on-line only. Info is conflicting ATM.

My lame guess is the Gnex was going to be on-line only, but now that it has been Verizonatized a little, it may be in stores as well. Both ways were probably correct, but different points in planning time.

Upvote 0
Nah...wait for it to hit. It will be a nice phone. It's never going to live up to the hype though. All the wasted homescreen space and perma search bar will burn through the new device love pretty quickly.

It's always the little things that become big things. Thats how I know a device is a keeper or not. When I first get it and I say to myself "Dang I'm not too crazy about the_insert little distraction here_

Then it's time to take it back.

It's like being with a hot woman. After you spent some time with her those weird moles on her breast that used to slightly bother you start to really turn you off :)

I dont know man! I'm pretty turned off by all the headaches people are reporting,,,,Especially the Volume issue....That would drive me mad! And Seriosuly, If the Nexus has Issues with a GPS lock...Well then that is very alarming because the GPS issues with Samsung products is getting very old already.

So when you take those issues and combined them with VZW's stance on no info or date about this phone...It kind of puts it on the pay no mind list...

Lol..your chick qoute is funny! Mine is pretty simple

Show me a really HOTTT Girl, and I'll show you a guy who's tired of sleeping with her. Happens to the best of em...lmaooo

Upvote 0
I dont know man! I'm pretty turned off by all the headaches people are reporting,,,,Especially the Volume issue....That would drive me mad! And Seriosuly, If the Nexus has Issues with a GPS lock...Well then that is very alarming because the GPS issues with Samsung products is getting very old already.

So when you take those issues and combined them with VZW's stance on no info or date about this phone...It kind of puts it on the pay no mind list...

Lol..your chick qoute is funny! Mine is pretty simple

Show me a really HOTTT Girl, and I'll show you a guy who's tired of sleeping with her. Happens to the best of em...lmaooo
Volume issue may not be present on the US version but I understand your concerns. In regards to the GPS issues I haven't been following the Nexus GSM release so I really can't comment on that.

Is it still an issue with their products across the board? (GPS lock)

Upvote 0
Due to the fixed nav bar on the Nexus and the pentile display, the Rezound will be sharper and have a higher DPI. Net result will be about 20% higher active display with the Rezound.

No harm no foul, since likely waiting months for Flash and no microsd slot is thumbs down for me. Razr or Rezound seems a win, either way.

Given that the 16gb/32gb issue is the number one debate ATM, surprised the OP did not look, right off the bat.

It's all a matter of opinion I guess. I haven't seen anything negative from people that actually have the GNex - in terms of the screen.

Upvote 0
I tried to get a gps lock on the nexus but after 90 seconds I gave up. Was getting great signal and all localocation services where on. Maybe it was the building. I tried two different addresses.

P3 said his Razr locked on in 13 seconds, and the GNex in 25. So, no big deal :)

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0
I don't know what unit OP tested. But all our sources connected in verizon said it will have 32Gb. volume issue is specific to GSM 2G radio and fix is on the way. All reviews of GSM nexus said GPS is spot on.

Sadly I suspect that the sources you credit are providing information that is unofficial and off-the-record. As such until those sources become official, all that we know about the Verizon handset is conjecture and opinion...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones