1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Hands-on with the S3 out of the box--- Plus a poll

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Idunno, Jul 11, 2012.

?

Are you going to switch to the Galaxy S3?

1. Yes. Definitely, absolutely, no doubt, for sure, yeah. However you say it, I'm switching

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. Maybe. I want to wait on user reviews, wait on ROMs / JB etc.

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. No. No way, absolutely not, uh uh, nope, negative. I'm happy with the GNex.

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. Idunno

Idunno Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 2, 2010
    Ice cream depleater, rhyme repeater
    SoCal
    Its a very slick phone. For everyone who complains about it feeling cheap... who cares, its about how it performs, and 99% of us are gonna put a case on it anyway so what its make of doesn't matter, shut your mouth. Sorry, I just think that's a really stupid thing to complain about. It is just about the same size as my GNex with the trident case on, however the S3 is much much thinner, which I like. The one I played with was white, haven't seen a dark blue one yet (or whatever other color they come in). It feels very slick, it has some unique options like its unlock animation is really cool, a couple of things here and there that are different from our 4.0.4.

Pros: Very fast, see pic below. Very responsive, thin, sleek, beautiful, amazing display quality. I compared it side by side to my GNex watching an HD video of a coral reef dive and I can say that even though the S3's screen is only a little bigger, the S3's screen is quite an upgrade. I thought the Nexus' screen was incredible (which it is) but the S3 takes it to a whole new level with whiter brighter whites, darker deeper black, and more vivid/saturated colors... most noticeably in the blue-green sprectrum. And the clarity is incredible, which is weird seeing as to how the resolution is the same as the GNex, maybe its the contrast or something. But nonetheless the display is stunning and is a huge upgrade from the GNex. The snapdragon S4 CPU and 2 gigs of RAM offers up more available processing power and capacity than I think I could ever use, leaving the UI and everything else free to sail smooth without hangs or glitches... can't wait to see how it is on 4.1.1 :) Of course all the other hardware upgrades, such as the 8MP/1.9MP cameras, REMOVABLE SD CARD which you DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE BATTERY TO CHANGE OUT! Thank god samsung, its about time we didn't have to do a battery pull to change the SD card.

[​IMG]
    Stock, out of the box, S3.

Cons: Physical home button which I don't like, and the fixed android buttons next to it (im not sure what they're called). I've become very accustomed to tour softkeys and being able to customize their look and function, I think thats a great feature of the GNex. And the stock UI is terrible... not functionally, i just hate the way it looks, there's too much clutter, it doesn't seem user friendly (for someone who could be new to android or not a tech savvy user)... I would definitely root it and throw on a custom ROM, or at the very least change to Nova.

So overall I can see this thing has HUGE potential once the devs have their way with it, especially with JB on its way. I'm seriously considering it, I don't know though... I know I absolutely don't have to, there's no practical reason for it, I just really want to. I'm gonna sleep on it for a few weeks and wait to see how the development community forms around it. What do you guys think, how many people are thinking about jumping ship?

Advertisement

jbdan likes this.
  2. artman540

artman540 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Restaurant manager
    Kissimmee, Florida
    I preordered on Verizon and got it on the 6th. It's a very good phone but I wish it would have carried over more of the Nexus features, mainly, software buttons and no Touchwizz. They could have easily gone with a 5" screen with software buttons and the same form factor and Touchwizz wastes so much on screen space. My Nexus can fit five rows of icons the SIII only fits four. The fifth row is filled with a stupid scroll bar.

3. durangojim

durangojim Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    I went out and bought one for Verizon at lunch today. 30 minutes later I have it boxed up and ready to return. It's a great phone but after putting JB Bugless Beast on my nexus oyestareday, I just can't go back to a skinned experience. Also the nexus feels so smooth with buttered popcorn that the galaxy feels like the same old android experience. If someone can put a stock JB on the S 3 I'll buy it again, but until then I'm sticking with the nexus, also as wired as it sounds, I prefer the nexus screen. The pentile aspect was more apparent to me on the s3.

4. craighwk

craighwk Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    IT Manager
    Denver, CO
    Just returned my Gnex for the S3 and I am impressed so far. I like the little touches Samsung has added to the UI. They've clearly thought this out and came up with a lot of cool little features I have yet to see anywhere else.

I too was running JB and while I love it, I can wait a few months until it hits the S3. I think the value that Samsung added to TouchWiz makes up for a lack of JB for now.

Very slick phone.

5. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    atl ga usa
    I haven't found one single con to this phone. I think it's a very worthy upgrade over my GN, and I love my GN.

The screen alone is a big upgrade. Not the size although that is a perk, but the tech advancement of their OLED panel since the GN. No mura at all, and no tint variance at low brightness. The form factor, fit/finish of the phone is delightful!

The otb experience of the sgs3 is in another league of any phone I've experienced. I've never seen this kind of customization. I dig the Wiz as well.

edit: for clarity, me and the wife have both. The SGS3 is hers, the GN mine. Well I act like the sgs3 is mine too :p

6. Skeeter125

Skeeter125 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 10, 2012
    Honestly to me the nexus is good if you want a toy but the poor reception among other issues put it out of the question for me as a daily driver( and yes I had a nexus) no matter how many roms you can flash or how open it is, if it wasn't a nexus I guarantee nobody would have bought it with the issues it has. I got a sgs3 and love it. Has none of the issues my nexus has and is just as smooth as my nexus was with a bigger screen and much better battery life. I will see maybe the next nexus if it is made by samsung will be better but if it is then I will sell my sgs3 and get that, otherwise I am very happy with my sgs3, even with going in having the worry that it would suck like the nexus and previous lte samsung devices did on verizon. And everyone complaining that they can't deal with a skin, it's not like it was sprung on you that the phone would have a skin. To me stock android wasn't really anything special and I like what the skins add functionality wise to the phone. yeah updates take a little longer but I will let all of you with a nexus be the beta tester and get all the bugs worked out before my phone gets it=)

7. Ballymoss

Ballymoss Android Expert
    None

Jun 26, 2012
    Where's the poll?

8. Mahalo

Mahalo Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    Tampa, Florida
    Top of the page... :)

9. Dubbin1