• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handscent or Go

Just having a toss up and a few difficulties with both these apps since upgrading to 2.3.

GOSMS - Works nice, although when the popup comes up and I reply to the message, I find that I'm overtyping the message and can't see the bottom of it. Also just enabled it since 2.3 upgrade and pop-ups don't appear to be working when screen is off.

Handscent - Pop-ups work well where GO appears to fail in the overtyping and also with 2.3, but since upgrading to the latest version of Handscent the other night, they also don't display when the screen is off.

Anybody got any ideas for both? I think I would prefer to use GO if possible as it's appears to be cleaner and possibly lighter. Either way thought I would like the popup to work with screen off like it did before and be able to reply from the popup.

Not much to ask?

I use Handcent and love it on my Atrix. You can set up the Pop Screen to wake your phone, for a certain period of time, then go back to sleep. (The pop up box will still be there, even when the screen is off.) You can do a quick reply, while the screen is still locked. Just recently, they added a schedule task text option. I haven't tried it yet, but looks like it works well, for sending text out on a certain day, time and can repeat.

I would have to say I really love the customization of Handcent the most. I can change the skin, conversation list and bubble settings to my liking. I just figured out, that I can have a different picture, as the background, in the contact list and conversation view.

Upvote 0
Nvm...just confirmed that GoSMS pop up does not appear over GB on my D2 when using a PIN lock. don't know if it would appear over lock screen if the PIN lock wasn't in force.

Handcent just fixed this issue a couple of weeks ago, so that its pop-up would appear over lock screens when a PIN.

Upvote 0
If Go's pop-up won't appear over the lock screen, that is a show-stopper. Has anyone confirmed that their pop-up will appear over the lock screen on both Froyo and Gingerbread?

I know in go you can have the screen turn on when you revieve and it may be able to disable the lockscreen not sure I don't use it

Upvote 0
I use Handcent and love it on my Atrix. You can set up the Pop Screen to wake your phone, for a certain period of time, then go back to sleep. (The pop up box will still be there, even when the screen is off.) You can do a quick reply, while the screen is still locked. Just recently, they added a schedule task text option. I haven't tried it yet, but looks like it works well, for sending text out on a certain day, time and can repeat.

I would have to say I really love the customization of Handcent the most. I can change the skin, conversation list and bubble settings to my liking. I just figured out, that I can have a different picture, as the background, in the contact list and conversation view.

Agreed, tried GO the other day for the fun of it, Handcent has been my fav since i started using it about a month ago. It does everything i want and fast. I got 4g lte on my Samsung Indulge tho, so GO wasnt slow, just wasnt as good as GO IMHO. It seems so much more customizable, and i liked having the pic on my message page of me and the person, after using GO for 20 mins or so. Handsdown, Handcent if you ask me.

Walking Hate
(Samsung FTW)

Upvote 0
Anyone have problems sending MMS on Go? I had no problems the first day, but now they just get stuck sending. They never go through, nor do they fail.

I noticed that happening with me like 3 weeks ago. I turned off my wi-fi/4G and then all of them that were waiting to send sent. Try that maybe.

As ffor the topic, i used handscent for like 2 months, have not been using GO for the last 3. I like it better because it's def faster. However tonight I am going to give ChompSMS a shot. I really liked that it displayed the pic on handscent with every text as well. Maybe chomp offers this..?

Upvote 0
I just flashed a new rom about a week ago, so I wiped data and lost my apps. When I reinstalled Go, I no longer had the MMS issue. It SOMETIMES is tricky opening an MMS, but definitely not having issues sending anymore.

Long time Handcent user still using Go. :)

The only gripe I have is that Go will not send pics from AudioManager (Hide It Pro).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones