1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Handset Advice

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by RichardRaseley, Feb 24, 2011.

1. RichardRaseley

None

Feb 24, 2011
    Hello all! I am looking for some input from the forum on picking out an Android handset. I am a former Nexus One owner who (for various reasons) switched over to a Windows 7 Phone device (Samsung Focus) when it came out a couple months ago.

After some time the novelty of this phone has worn off and I am looking to switch back to an Android handset.

Now, I am a purist - I really cannot stand the various custom UIs that exist out there. With that in mind the Nexus S is the phone I am currently leaning towards. That being said, the prospect of getting a phone that supports 4G (whether it be LTE, WiMax, HSPA+, etc.) is quite intriguing but I am not aware of any "vanilla" Android 4G handsets on the horizon.

I would appreciate any input from someone who has had this very same dilema or any current Nexus S owner who can extoll its virtues (or point out some flaws).

Thank you in advance!

Advertisement

2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    I also hate custom UI's from manufacturers. I made the switch to Android when the original Droid came out and have had a few sense phones and the Droid X since then.

I wanted pure Android and bought the Nexus S the day it was released. I absolutely love this phone. The screen is amazing and super easy to use outdoors regardless of sunlight. I love the subtle curve of the screen, the gingerbread keyboard is great.

I have found the build quality to be good, battery life isn't too bad.

I have installed CM7 ROM and love it, I also have a custom kernel so that I am overclocked. There is also a "voodoo" sound hack that is incorporated into a lot of kernels and with that the sound quality is AMAZING.

Basically right now I am extremely happy with this phone and have no desire for a new one, even with the nice dual core, 3d, blah blah phones that are coming out now. That is rare for me to say as I usually get a new phone about every 6 months. I will probably be keeping this until the next Nexus is released.

Now the negatives:

-No LED light - bothers some people, I miss it sometimes, but not a big deal

-Few accessories - doesn't bother me, I have a generic car dock that works great and Tasker launches my care home app so that it is just like an actual car dock for the phone

-A couple gingerbread bugs - they affect some people more than others, doesn't affect my phone to much but Google has already said they are working on a fix

-no SD card - I use less than 8gb usually anyways, took a little more work to get things on the phone when I forst got it, but other than that it doesn't matter at all to me

There is my take as a current Nexus S owner who has had several Android phones in the past and always likes to stay on the cutting edge of phones. I love the Nexus S overall!!

RichardRaseley likes this.
  3. RichardRaseley

None

Feb 24, 2011
    Thanks a bunch for your well thought out reply!

Just to clarify, when you say there is no "LED light" do you mean no status light (as I thought it had an LED flash for camera)?

4. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    Yes I mean the LED light on the front for messages, missed calls, etc

There is a LED flash for the camera :D

5. RichardRaseley

None

Feb 24, 2011
    Awesome, that is what I am hoping you meant. My current phone (Samsung Focus) doesn't have one either so I have grown use to it.

6. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    where is your nexus one????
    I say use that for a few months.. till some of the big guns are dropped and more reviews are out.

7. RichardRaseley

None

Feb 24, 2011
    Unfortunately I sold my Nexus One when I got this phone. =[

8. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    i would say.. keep the focus for a few more months...
    till summer time... better choices then