1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Hang drape with rod pocket and no rod

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rgarner, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Yeah, this one's way off topic. There's this blackout panel, not super heavy but enough to defeat E 6000. Would it be possible to put it up with a lot of push pins?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

That maybe possible. But what will the push pins be going into, if it's stone, concrete, or brick, that could be difficult. Wood or plasterboard, should no problem. Above a window there might be a stone, concrete or even a steel lintel. All depending on how the place was built.

Why not put a rod up, and do the job properly?

MoodyBlues, puppykickr and Rgarner like this.
  3. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

How would I do that? I've never had to bother with it. I'm posting a photo of the wall above the window. Maybe that'll help.

Attached Files:

4. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Go to the hardware store, and buy a rod.
    Measure for length and take one of the things that hold the rod to get a right sized rod.
    If you really dont care much, get a dowel rod.
    Easy to cut to size, and cheap.

MoodyBlues and Rgarner like this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Yeh, I can see a wall above a window. But what's that structure made from, is it wood, brick, stone, concrete, or even steel? Because that will very much affect how you can put up a drape, like it's extremely difficult to put push pins into a steel girder or a stone block.

I know many houses in the US are of timber construction, is that what you're in?

Last time I put up drapes, I had to use masonry bolts to mount the rods, because it was brick I was fixing them to.

#5 mikedt, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    Rgarner likes this.
  6. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I'm not sure of the material. I'm figuring drywall because of how cheaply things are slapped together, but I don't know how to tell. There is no rod and there are no supports for one, just a plain flat wall.

7. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I've been informed that it's stucco over drywall. I can believe it. The paint should be a nice, scrubbable shiny finish but of course it's matte.

mikedt likes this.
  8. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

My handyman had no trouble at all putting up new rods and their associated hardware on walls like that all around my house. He used a power drill, but a regular old screwdriver and/or hammer should suffice.

mikedt and Rgarner like this.
  9. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

Two screws with drywall anchors. String though the rod pocket, tied to each screw. Done and cheaply. No charge for that one

:D

mikedt and Rgarner like this.
  10. Bearsyzf

Bearsyzf Android Expert

if it's drywall you should have no problem except for making sure it's level.