1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Hangouts Constantly Crashing

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zetroc, Oct 27, 2014.

1. zetroc

zetroc Android Enthusiast

I have Hangouts set to manage both my "Hangouts" conversations and my SMS. Lately, the Hangouts app crashes for no apparent reason. When this happens, I need to just relax and wait a while before attempting to open the app again, because if I open it right away, it just closes again. Is this happening to anyone else? Any idea why? This started after Hangouts was updated with this new Material Design interface.

PS I appreciate material design, I like the use of color, except this update sucks lol. Just saying...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. amarie82

amarie82 Android Expert

I have not any issues with it! Do you have a lot of messages in the app? Have you tried clearing the data on the app in the app manager?

3. zetroc

zetroc Android Enthusiast

I haven't but if that's something I'd have to do now after the update, then to me that's a pretty poor design. The phone has enough memory, RAM and processing power for me not to have to go in and clear the data. Am I being unreasonable?

4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

Ive had this happen to me on my old Moto X on rare occasion but I never figured out what caused it. For me it sounds like it was less severe though.

I think the new Hangouts was rushed out the door. Hopefully there will be some improvements with Lollipop. I really prefer swipe to delete over tabs (hate the tabs).

5. slipperybrain

slipperybrain Lurker

I have had this happen to me repeatedly...almost 2x a day now. Then I would check other apps when Hangouts crashed and they would crash too. I did not think about deleting old messages, instead I called Moto to get a new phone. I have had 2 phones so far and on both Hangouts crashed constantly.

6. slipperybrain

slipperybrain Lurker

I notice this most on Hangouts because this is the app I use the most. Are you using a different launcher? I noticed on both launchers but was wondering if it has something to do with that.

#6 slipperybrain, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Having had the opportunity to use hangouts between an S3 in the Dominican Republic, me on the Moto X and / N7 2013 4.4.4, and my son on a 2012 N7 Lollipop, the 4.4.4 ones (X & 2013 N7 crashed constantly) while the old version for S3 and the new version for Lollipop worked fine. So its probably the 4.4.4 version that's iffy.

alostpacket likes this.
  8. slipperybrain

slipperybrain Lurker

I agree with Unvorgiven..since downloading Lollipop, Hangouts does not crash any longer on my Moto X. However, there are tons of other bugs with Lollipop.

Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen) release date was September 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2300mAh battery.

September 2014
Release Date
Reviews