1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Happy 6th birthday, T-Mobile G1!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by GamerCore, Oct 22, 2014.

1. GamerCore

GamerCore Android Enthusiast

[​IMG]

Just friendly reminder that 6 years ago today, the HTC G1 was released on T-Mobile. It's the phone that started it all and for many, our induction into the Android ecosystem.

Because it's always fun to look at how far we've come, here's a quick spec rundown:

• 3.2-inch 320x480 resolution display
    • 528MHz Qualcomm MSM7201A processor
    • 192MB of RAM
    • 256MB internal storage
    • 3.2MP camera
    • 1,150 mAh battery
    • 7.2Mbps max data speeds
    • Micro SD card up to 16GB

Anyone else celebrating their 6-year Android anniversary?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rob

Rob Galaxy S20 Ultra
    Phandroid Staff

G1 Love, baby!

I still have mine and pull it out from time to time. I'm still fond of the sliding keyboard mechanism and the chin. I don't care what any of yall say!

3. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Always wanted to try one out for a little while but never got to see one in person.

Maybe someday :)

4. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

My time with Android doesn't date back that far. I got my first android in 2012. I hadn't even heard of Android and had vaguely heard of the iPhone in 2008. The term smartphone was unfamiliar to me at that time. I was just happy to have my little flip phone.

5. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

Still have mine, a very early one. Last time I charged it and powered it up it worked fine.

6. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

it's so odd how 6 years later it looks more like something right out of the mid-1990s. to this day the super fast upgrade cycle of Android and phone hardware makes even a one-year old device look ancient. sad since i prefer to keep something for a long time, but that's getting increasingly harder with six-month upgrade cycles.

Remember back when a 25" Console Color TV was not only a 'big screen' but also was something that people kept for 20 plus years? back when IBM PCs lived ten before software refused to run on them? i miss those days. nowadays we're tossing out tech every year or two for the 'next big thing'.

My first Android device was a Coby Kyros tablet running version 2.1. it was the most unstable, annoying infuriating device i ever owned. i am unsure why i even have it, but it's about three years old now and believe it or not, it still manages to hold the 4-5 hours of charge it did when new. still freezes up at the lockscreen as well.

7. zipred

zipred Android Expert

The phone that introduced me to Android, and I've never left. Right up my alley and a phone only a software engineer could love.

That or serious nerds, most everyone else that bought one usually replaced it with something far more practical for them :)

8. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

I am sure that there is some cult following of people who still use the HTC Dream, just like the few who still hold onto their Motorola StarTAC. not everyone is crazy for the newest and greatest device. the Dream is still usable and at least offers the Android Market, still every bit as functional but more reliable at downloading and installing than Google Play will ever be.

I recently watched a PocketNow video about the HTC Dream, aka G1. the device even as old as it is now, remained pretty lag-free given its rather limited spec and less-than-great version of Android. i was amazed at the fact the apps still worked and the Android Market still seemed fully-functional.

9. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

One of my colleagues had a problem with his sammie and is back on his G1 and apparently, loving it. He is the uber-est of uber geeks, though ;)

10. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Six years ago I was using an iPhone, jailbroken of course. My introduction to Android was four years ago with a Samsung Galaxy S, and soon learned about rooting and ROMs with it.