• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Haptic On or Off??

Canefan

Dec 11, 2009
I'm trying to optimize my battery life and was wondering whether turning of the haptic feedback would have significant impact or not. Anybody try this and notice substantial decrease in battery consumption? I've turned screen brightness all the way down and have wifi, bluetooth, and gps off.

I'm trying to optimize my battery life and was wondering whether turning of the haptic feedback would have significant impact or not. Anybody try this and notice substantial decrease in battery consumption? I've turned screen brightness all the way down and have wifi, bluetooth, and gps off.

I don't think the haptic setting will affect battery life.

I recently set my screen brightness settings to auto-adjust, and that has definitely improved battery performance for me, even more so than reducing the brightness level to zero.

Upvote 0
Same here. The OTA update didn't improve my battery life. :mad:

I wonder if you guys with lousy battery life have hardware or physical battery issues. I use my device pretty heavily at work (texting, browsing, lots of Pandora/Last.FM) and I usually don't even get into the yellow by the time I go to bed.

I would consider seeing if Verizon/Motorola will give you a new battery or (hopefully not) a new phone. The OTA update did in fact increase my battery life quite noticeably.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I'm not seeing the same battery longevity as you. Mine came off the charger at 0630 and is at 40% at noon with moderate use.

Shot in the dark here, but you've probably got some apps constantly using GPS, wifi, 3G, etc. Or maybe, if you're using a combined inbox, it's taking up too much battery pulling emails.

I recently set up my friend's email on his new Droid as he didn't want to use a new Gmail account. I initially set up his combined email accounts (all of 4 of them) to check for new emails every 5-10 minutes. Over the weekend we were in Vegas and his battery was dead a long time before mine and we had been using our phones the same amount. So I changed his settings to have email pulled ever 30 mins. and his battery life has been greatly improved. I s think I set his work email to get pulled every 10 minutes and personal to get pulled every 30-45.

...or use Gmail like you should be anyway.:D

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
The "bad batch" is a myth.

I'm not sure if your statement is entirely valid. I understand that a lot of the problems with the Droid are "user-related" issues, but the fact that some Droids came with loose screens, misc. hardware defects, and so on cannot be a myth, unless of course you're assuming a lot of the forum members are liars. :eek:

Upvote 0
You're right, I cannot quote a tech website or publication. But I can say with certainty that many users in the forum and not, including myself, have the "bad batch," and have no problems.

If by "batch" you mean build number xxx, or the manufacture date of the specific device, then I see what you are saying. Yes, there's been no real pattern to the defective units. One cannot conclude that all Droids with a manufacture date of xxx have been defective, etc. It's been hit and miss.

Upvote 0
Shot in the dark here, but you've probably got some apps constantly using GPS, wifi, 3G, etc. Or maybe, if you're using a combined inbox, it's taking up too much battery pulling emails.

I recently set up my friend's email on his new Droid as he didn't want to use a new Gmail account. I initially set up his combined email accounts (all of 4 of them) to check for new emails every 5-10 minutes. Over the weekend we were in Vegas and his battery was dead a long time before mine and we had been using our phones the same amount. So I changed his settings to have email pulled ever 30 mins. and his battery life has been greatly improved. I s think I set his work email to get pulled every 10 minutes and personal to get pulled every 30-45.

...or use Gmail like you should be anyway.:D

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion but I currently use Gmail for my personal mail and my work Email is pushed via an Exchange server using the Touchdown client. One question I have though is what are the ramifications of turning off Background Sync in the Account and Sync options? What will and will not work right? Disabling it causes a message to pop up stating that battery life will be improved and some programs will still use the background data function. Has anyone tried this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones