• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hard Reset and Google Sync

csimms

Jul 15, 2010
So after 2.2 updated, I made the decision to hard reset my phone since my battery life was draining and performance had slowed considerably. I had tried all of the recommendations online prior to doing so with no luck. I downloaded My Backup Pro and backed up my data and apps. I also backed up my information using m:IQ and my apps using Astro (I wanted to be thorough just in case). I performed a hard reset then downloaded My Backup pro from the market and restored my data and apps. One thing I noticed was that my Google Calendar ended up making multiple instances of events. On top of that, the events, which were synced to my Outlook Calendar got rebroadcast to all of the attendees of my events months back. The invitations came from my google calendar app. Additionally, google sync replaced my events on my Outlook witth Google Calendar events instead which ended up being worthless as I couldn't view then from work. I've been cleaning up my calendar ever since. So here's some advice:

If you use Google Sync for Contacts and Calendar, you do not need to back these up using a third party application as when you reload your phone, these will automatically sync with your google account. Additionally if you need to delete your local contact and calendar data without affecting your google sync'ed data, do the following:

1.Go to Settings > Accounts > your gmail account and turn sync off
2. Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications and Clear Data from Contacts Storage and Calendar Storage.
3. Go back to Settings > Accounts > your gmail account and turn sync back on.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones