• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hard reset-Not working

Directions on how to hard reset a Samsung Galaxy Prevail M820

1. Make sure the phone is turned off
2. Press and hold the up volume button (keep holding it)
3. Press the power button until it says "Samsung Prevail" while you are still holding the up volume button
4. Hold the up volume button until it comes up with "Android system recovery"
5. Using the down volume button scroll to "wipe data/factory reset"
6. Press the camera button to select it
7. Using the down volume button scroll to "Yes -- delete all user data"
8. Press the camera button (remember this erases all data and returns it to original factory settings.
9. Select "reboot system now" by pressing the camera button
10. Phone will turn off and back on.

Tried this....
Held it for over 5 minutes!!
I'm guessing my phone should have done something by then!!
But Nothing!

Ever since the update 2 days ago, my phone is having the "Battery charging indicating issue", & Will not turn on once turned off, or turned off by itself, unless plugged in!
I've tried Everything I can find on these issues!
The phone worked fine beforehand, I did a "Factory Reset", I was hoping a "Hard Reset" Would offer a solution!
But my phone will not allow this apparently!
Anyone have any other suggestions to this??
& I'm sure it's a dumb question, but I'm running out of options, other than purchasing a new phone!-There is ONLY one way to do a "Hard Reset" right?
Any info greatly appreciated!!

*moved to Samsung Galaxy Prevail forum*

You'll get a better answer here.

As for the reset, a hard reset is the same thing as a hard reset. The only difference being a hard reset is done when the phone won't boot into Android.

If your phone won't turn on unless plugged in sounds like your battery is bad. It might have just been coincidental with the update.

Also, I do believe to perform a hard reset as outlined above, you need to have the phone unplugged at the time.

Upvote 0
Tried this....
But Nothing!

Ever since the update 2 days ago, my phone is having the "Battery charging indicating issue", & Will not turn on once turned off, or turned off by itself, unless plugged in!
The phone worked fine beforehand, I did a "Factory Reset", I was hoping a "Hard Reset" Would offer a solution!
& I'm sure it's a dumb question, but I'm running out of options, other than purchasing a new phone!-There is ONLY one way to do a "Hard Reset" right?
that is only if rooted with cwm, won't work on an unrooted phone.

Upvote 0
Your wrong. Stock recovery has a factory reset option.
ok, forgot you can do that in settings.
but he posted this before that in op, and this is the stuff in cwm? is this for a non rooted phone? is so sorry then? i don't remember being able to do this before root and cwm, but maybe i'm wrong?

Originally Posted by GusLund
Directions on how to hard reset a Samsung Galaxy Prevail M820

1. Make sure the phone is turned off
2. Press and hold the up volume button (keep holding it)
3. Press the power button until it says "Samsung Prevail" while you are still holding the up volume button
5. Using the down volume button scroll to "wipe data/factory reset"
6. Press the camera button to select it
7. Using the down volume button scroll to "Yes -- delete all user data"
8. Press the camera button (remember this erases all data and returns it to original factory settings.
9. Select "reboot system now" by pressing the camera button
10. Phone will turn off and back on.
Tried this....
But Nothing!

Upvote 0
ok, forgot you can do that in settings.
but he posted this before that in op, and this is the stuff in cwm? is this for a non rooted phone? is so sorry then? i don't remember being able to do this before root and cwm, but maybe i'm wrong? !!

Stock recovery looks very similar to this (not exactly this picture, as this is not a prevail, but the options are the same)
stockrec.jpg

;)

Reactions: cwhatever
Upvote 0
Tried this....
But Nothing!

just wanted to say sorry i thought of something different and didn't mean to give you the wrong info. sorry again!

Upvote 0
Nope, were breaking up...:D

Breaking-Up-Photo-from-www.dearannabelle.com_.jpg

:p:p:p:D :lmao:

I'm not picking on you intentionally. I didn't even realize it was your post when i first commented on it. but the instructions he was quoting (and you quoted 3 times now, lolz) even says
:D
:) I have no problems with you at all. Your just trying to do the same thing i am- which is to save those smarter than us the trouble of re-explaining the things that have been explained. They already devote so much FREE time to give us all this fun stuff to play with.

Your good bro. Sorry if it seems like I'm gunnin for ya. lol. It's not like that at all.:eek:

Reactions: cwhatever
Upvote 0
Nope, were breaking up...:D

Breaking-Up-Photo-from-www.dearannabelle.com_.jpg

:p:p:p:D :lmao:

I'm not picking on you intentionally. I didn't even realize it was your post when i first commented on it. but the instructions he was quoting (and you quoted 3 times now, lolz) even says
:D
:) I have no problems with you at all. Your just trying to do the same thing i am- which is to save those smarter than us the trouble of re-explaining the things that have been explained. They already devote so much FREE time to give us all this fun stuff to play with.

Your good bro. Sorry if it seems like I'm gunnin for ya. lol. It's not like that at all.:eek:
no problem we are human and make mistakes, i just sometimes make more than others, but is all good!!! thx

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones