1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Hard Reset vs. Factory Reset? And some other questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cogeary, Sep 20, 2011.

1. cogeary

cogeary Lurker
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    So I got my Atrix about a week ago (lovin' it) and I immediately started messing around with it. I can't begin to count how many [free] apps I downloaded and customized aand uninstalled then uninstalled some more then downloaded some more, etc. There's some weird things going on that I'm pretty sure didn't happen when I got the phone (i.e. the SD card notification always bleeps at me when I turn it on, sometimes the screen flashes right after I press the power button to turn the screen on) and I just want to reset it and start anew, now that I have the basic configuration drilled into my brain.

So, my first question is, what is the difference between a "Factory Reset" and a "Hard Reset". I would prefer to do the more extensive one of the two, so long as they don't do anything like delete all the stock apps or anything crazy like that. I've heard from somewhere that the thing where you hold the power button and volume down button doesn't work... is this true? Would this stop me from doing one of the above options?

Now, my second question. After I reset my phone, will I have to create a NEW Motoblur account, or can I use the one I have currently? Will using the account I have currently cause all of my previous settings to be synced or anything?

Now finally, for my third question. It's kinda off-topic. When I connect my phone to my laptop via USB, everything works fine. But what is the best way to safely disconnect my phone? (In Windows 7) "Safely Remove Hardware" doesn't seem to do anything. Would settings the USB settings to "None" (via the phone) be a solution?

So to sum it up:
    1-Difference between "Factory Reset" and "Hard Reset"? I want my phone to be as exactly close to the state it was the minute after I bought it. Which option would be the best for someone that recently bought their phone and doesn't care about contacts/other settings lost?
    2-Will a new Motorblur account need to be created once I turn my phone on after resetting it? Will using the same motoblur account cause all of my previous settings to be resynced?
    3-What's the best way to safely remove the Atrix when it's connected to my W7 Laptop via USB?

Any help is appreciated. :)

Advertisement