• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hard reset?

I don't seem to get settings > factory restore.

I have Settings and Display under Settings, but not a factory restore or any choice like it.

So -- any other ideas on a hard reset?

I need to do this because my phone won't connect to the market, etc and people are suggesting to reset and fix the problem.

Upvote 0
I don't seem to get settings > factory restore.

I have Settings and Display under Settings, but not a factory restore or any choice like it.

So -- any other ideas on a hard reset?

I need to do this because my phone won't connect to the market, etc and people are suggesting to reset and fix the problem.

It should be in Settings > SD card & phone storage > factory data reset

Upvote 0

Did this fix your problem with the gmail connection? I cannot connect either but want to avoid a reset if possible. I assume reset loses your contacts, right? I can't get to a store for a couple of days to have my contacts transferred again. Thanks!

Upvote 0
melblank: yes this will erase the contacts. hopefully you're already synced with google. then you just have to re-setup your google account in the phone and your contacts will sync again....

Stoney62: correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't a soft reset the same as a reboot? so on a locked phone, the soft reset is pull the battery....

Upvote 0
anyway to do this when the phone is off. my moment is stuck at android screen and doesn't boot to os. i cannot get to the factory reset in the os. i think pandahome (ver. 1.75) is the main culprit. the other apps i have are ak notepad, astro, remote vnc lite, remote droid, pdanet, some themes for pandahome. if i take it to the sprint store can they reset it. if so, will they charge me for it?

Upvote 0
melblank: yes this will erase the contacts. hopefully you're already synced with google. then you just have to re-setup your google account in the phone and your contacts will sync again....

Stoney62: correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't a soft reset the same as a reboot? so on a locked phone, the soft reset is pull the battery....

Essentially, yes. What i' saying is there should be a button press or combination of presses to soft reset the phone so you don't have to take the phone apart to do it.

Upvote 0
Havent tried myself yet, but thought i'd put it out there for everyone. Let me know how it works.

WARNING; This May and Will mess up your phone if you do not know what you are doing!

I can not help you if you do mess up your phone, be sure you made a back up or that google sync is working. Play around at your own risk!

Take out the battery, put it back in. Simultaneously press Call(Green/Send key
) Enter(Middle Trackpad) End(Red/Hang Up) buttons on bottom portion of front face. It will turn on and display "Samsung" and fill a grey bar, then turn yellowish, poof you are now at the self test menu.

From there, go to reset and you should be able to hard reset the device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones