• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hard/software to improve WiFi reception?

I've just recently returned from a family vacation in Italy where we were staying in a villa with no WiFi provided. There were a few weak open connections nearby, which I could latch on to periodically if I stood on a certain part of a porch to the side of the house. This situation held true for both devices that I had with me (Galaxy Tab 2 tablet and Galaxy Note 2 phone).

Meanwhile, my nephew seemed to have much more success in latching on to and maintaining a fairly stable WiFi signal using his laptop.

Now, I understand that a laptop is more likely to have a better antenna for capturing a signal than my smaller devices. What I'd like to know however, is whether or not there is some sort of software or portable hardware out there which can improve the range/ability of my phone/tablet to pick up nearby wifi signals?

Hey, El Presidente. Thanks for the reply. Seems that link is only bringing up the Amazon home page for me. If its just a basic search for "wi-fi extender", its not really what I'm looking for.

What I'm talking about is something I can use on the move. A software program that I can load up, or a small piece of hardware I can plug in to my phone/tablet in order to help me to latch on to weak, open wi-fi signals when I'm out and about.

Last night, I downloaded a program from Google Play Store called "WiFi Boost". It purports to do what I'm looking for and seems to be well reviewed. We'll see.......

Upvote 0
The link doesn't work for me now either, sorry! :eek:

I'd be wary of apps like that, is this is the WiFi Boost you're on about? I just installed and it didn't do anything for me. It also put ads in my notification bar.

If your phone accepts USB OTG, you might be able to use a USB wireless adaptor, but it's a big might and I'm relatively sure it wouldn't work, at least without root anyway.

Upvote 0
The link doesn't work for me now either, sorry! :eek:

I'd be wary of apps like that, is this is the WiFi Boost you're on about? I just installed and it didn't do anything for me. It also put ads in my notification bar.

If your phone accepts USB OTG, you might be able to use a USB wireless adaptor, but it's a big might and I'm relatively sure it wouldn't work, at least without root anyway.

LOL!

This is the app I'm checking out......and believe me, I'm plenty skeptical. If anything looks weird, I'll be uninstalling it right away.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones