1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Hard time adjusting to size coming from iphone 5

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by finn5975, Dec 20, 2012.

1. finn5975

finn5975 Well-Known Member

Hi all. I am not so much complaining as I am interested how others might be handling the size of this beast. I am 6'7" so I have large hands, but even still I find myself needing to shuffle the phone in order to do things one-handed. I don't really care to use the one handed settings to be honest. When using two hands, this phone cannot be beat.
    I imagine it will take time to adjust. Right now, it just seems kind of weird to be toting around such a large device when being so used to carrying a much smaller phone. It's certainly not as easy for me to whip in and out of pockets and rock it one handed. Just wondering how others are adjusting and what you think of the size, not so much for watching video and viewing web content....cause its perfect for that....but as a daily driver for texting, carrying around, etc.
    Thanks!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. septembersrain

septembersrain 句_句 Smurfing Awesome

I have tiny hands. Long fingers but they are still on my tiny hands. LOL

Seriously though, I always love having huge phones. Since I'm a girl though it's as easy to just throw it in my purse. I do have one of those covers that has the strap so it makes it easier for me to hold it in my hand. I wrap my hand in the strap and it secures it a little better. ^^.

As for texting and calls, I'm already used to it. I've had mine for about 3 days now and I really think it's not too big. Then again, I'm blind as a bat and supposed to wear glasses. This phone helps me to avoid having to! =P

rodrigorajao likes this.
  3. NeuDroid

NeuDroid Well-Known Member

Trust me, the iphone will feel like a toy soon. Give it time, while I agree that certain tasks are not possible or at least very hard to do on this device one handed, like texting and driving, you'll soon discover it's a small price to pay. On my iphone I would only type in landscape mode, on this phone I can't but its a non issue since it's just as if I was typing landscape mode on my iphone anyway. Texting and driving was just an example, not that I encourage it.

4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Please don't text and drive :)

5. dave1812

dave1812 Android Enthusiast

at your size I can't fathom how you'd have issues with the size of the note 2. seriously.

to me, what is weird, is to carry a phone so frickin' small I would need a magnifying glass to see what's on screen. I am SO OVER small phones! :)

6. nufan4115

nufan4115 Lurker

I am not large either but I can do most things one handed on the phone. I really dont think i could ever go back to a smaller screen, but i dont think i want it any bigger either

7. finn5975

finn5975 Well-Known Member

I know I know. I think it's a matter of, for 5 generations, of being able to whip my phone out and type a text one handed in seconds. I'm very much a one handed phone user. The iPhone now feels so stinking small but at the same time is easy to use quickly. I'm finding myself torn between a more limited but easy to handle phone vs a powerhouse that'll require adjustments and change.

8. fdnj48

fdnj48 Android Enthusiast

I've had mine for about 10 days now and while I didn't come from an Iphone(came from the S3) I am also having a hard time adjusting to the size. I love everything about this phone but I do find it a little awkward to use sometimes. I'm seriously debating going back to my S3. I think the 4.8-5 inch range is ideal for ME. Still have a few days left with it to decide tho so we'll see.

9. lcneed

lcneed Android Enthusiast

It is a big phone and not easy to use one handed. I always use 2 hands even on the iPhone, so the Note II actually feels better. Now if I only have 1 hand, I might go for iPhone 5. :p

10. rivera02

rivera02 Android Enthusiast

as far as typing is concerned, i would recommend using swype or the Swype feature on the Samsung keyboard. i have no problem typing one handed using swype, but i can see how it would be annoying typing in the traditional fashion you're accustomed to coming from an iPhone. just take a week to get used to it and you'll never look back

11. vgp

vgp Well-Known Member

Its funny because i thought the phone would be to big as well. I came from an HTC Thunderbolt then to the Galaxy S3 and now that I have used the Note 2 for about 3-4 weeks now I love it. You can see my trend, but the phone is great! It slips in and out of my pocket with no worries. I have small hands, but i was never a one handed user anyway, so that didnt bother me at all.

My wife kept my S3 and it is so weird, because I would use her phone every now and then and I think to myself how did i use this thing...its so small...lol. I find myself wanting to get a tad bit bigger, so I can for sure I have gotten use to the phone already and thats all i have to say about that!

12. annebrooks64

annebrooks64 Android Enthusiast

I had the original note, then traded it for an s3 and then bought the note 2 also. I just learned to do everything 2 handed instead. Now everything else feels way too small even my s3. I love this thing, no way will I ever use anything smaller ever again.

13. iP0wN

iP0wN Newbie

Finn, I am in the same situation. In fact worse- I'm short (5'3) so if you can only imagine how small my hands are.

My advice is you get FlyGrip. It's a stick-on folding T handle that allows you to grip the phablet by your fingertips. Sounds strange but it really works great. Even with my small hands can now operate the device fully with one hand with my thumb able to reach nearly all of the screen while retaining s solid grip on the device. For your large hands you should be able to capitalize the screen fully with the FlyGrip. I still use both hands most of the time if I have them free since I swype so much faster with a free hand than one-handed with my thumb. FlyGrip is a must for any Note 2 owner. It's sleek and folds away nice and flat so as to not hinder portability. In fact it actually makes it safer to use in your car because it literally frees up your hand to grip the steering wheel while driving. Of course that is no justification to use your phone while driving, but let's face most of us have done it at some point and will continue to do it, so might as well do it with the FlyGrip. At least you still be able to quickly grip the steering wheel with both hands when using the FlyGrip.

Check out the YouTube videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlybsGML8yU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ps. I have one for my iPhone also since the iPhone 5 no longer is a true one-handed phone with the longer screen. It just makes any device so much more comfortable to use with one hand. (Yes, I carry both phone's with me at all times.)

Anyway, good luck!

finn5975 likes this.
  14. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

** runs in ** Hiiiiiii everyone!!!!! *this mic on?*

Here's a little advice for those having difficulty......get an iPhone! sike sike sike ....j/p.....j/p!!! :D

I give this talk a lot so allow me a moment of your time to give it here.

The adjustment will be easier if you allow yourself to stop thinking *so much* how you were able to manipulate the iPhone one handed. You'll soon see as soon as you embrace the fact that it's 5.5" instead of 3.5-4" you'll become more comfortable with it.

I know it's very hard to let go of old habits but riddle me this~ would you try to use a 7-10" tablet one handed? More than likely not.

When the increase in size is gradual you don't notice the jump but when it's huge it's very noticeable which leads to doubt and buyer remorse.

Ideally as much as you may want to use this phone one handed it's not going to always possible and that's something you have to accept in order to really appreciate the size and be able to use it with the same ease you used your former tiny :D phone.

I don't try to use my phone one handed cause it's not worth dropping it.

Bexy and septembersrain like this.
  15. SupperDroid

SupperDroid Member

I came from a Droid 4, so I had to adjust to not only the size but no physical keyboard. After about 10 days I have not looked back. Picked up the D4 yesterday and was awed at how I ever used it, I have poor eye sight and even with glasses a small screen is tough to see. I use Google search a lot to voice text and search so it saves a lot of typing. My friend was here last night with his iPhone and was blown away.

16. NYankee

NYankee Well-Known Member

The Iphone 5 is a toy. Welcome to the big leagues.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  17. MiXoLoGiSt

MiXoLoGiSt Well-Known Member

I own both an iPhone 5 and the Note 2. The note 2 wasn't too hard for me to adjust to. I got used to it within a couple days.

While the iPhone was great, I find after typing on the Note 2 I can't type on the iPhone anymore. It is very difficult and my average fingers hit wrong keys all the time.

It still at times is awkward to carry around such a big phone but for the most part it hasn't been a problem at all. I love the looks I get from people with expressions like
    "Holy crap that's a huge phone". IMO the trade offs of carrying a big phone are worth it for such an amazing device. The screen size, battery life and S Pen make this beast of a device completely worth it.

Trust me I did the same thing as you and I read into the size of it too much and kept finding myself wondering if I should just return it and reactivate my iPhone 5 but eventually I decided I wasn't going to think about it and just truly look at the phone for what it is and stop trying to compare differences and one handed usability. Once I did that I found I am happy with the Note 2 and not bored with it like I was on the iPhone 5 and iOS. I wouldn't even think about returning this phone.

18. mh68

mh68 Member

I also came from the Thunderbolt and have had this phone for 3 weeks now and I absolutely LOVE it! Especially the battery life, for those that are familiar with the Thunderbolts less than stellar battery life, you'll know why, lol.

19. dave1812

I showed off the Note2 to all the people at a medical office the other day and to my surprise one of the gals there is going to buy one soon--she just can't decide on staying with AT&T or going with her boyfriend's carrier--Verizon. I have spoken to her on a couple occasions since then and she's eager to get one. so much for the "gee, I'm a girl--the Note 2 is too large for me.." mentality. :) My wife thinks it's too large (the phone!).

20. bitkahuna

bitkahuna Lurker

yeah, i'm tall too, 6'3" with big hands, but the only thing frankly that's tough is to use it one-handed while driving, which is a no no really anyway. i don't like the one handed keyboard (too narrow), but have started using voice input more - not sure if it's the phone's fast hardware or the google software/service, but voice recognition is amazing, not only for searches but for dictating text/e-mail/notes, etc.

despite this slight trade-off, i LOVE the note 2! amazing phone.

of course less than a month after getting it it's being ragged on for not being 1080p, but i don't care.

21. dave1812

I already checked out the HTC DNA. I wasn't all that impressed with the 1080 screen, given that a 5" screen that is 1080 vs one that is 720 just isn't that much of a difference visually. more resolution is NICE, but at some point it's beginning to split hairs IMO.

22. LegalEagle1

LegalEagle1 Newbie

Hang weights from your fingers until they become 7 inches long like the rest of us.

23. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

^ This coming from the person who returned the Note 2 cause they have the iPhone 5. Just cause you're back doesn't mean you get to come off your time out! You're still on punishment buddy!! :D

24. septembersrain

septembersrain 句_句 Smurfing Awesome

I had an iPod once. Darn thing never let me download anything and it kept making me change my password. It wasn't "Secure" enough so they made sure it was so secure I couldn't remember it!

That was the extent of my attempt of familiarizing myself with Apple. That was more than enough.

I love Android and especially this awesomely huge screened one.

25. Harplayr

Harplayr Well-Known Member

I second the advice about the fly grip.
    I use this N2 as an e-reader often and the fly grip just makes it so much more comfortable to hold.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 3100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews