• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hardware Build #3 Is A Totally Different Handset

Can't we all get along .. ? We all should be happy we got Evo's with us and we can discuss about the hardware models ... There's many people around that has been waiting and not been able to get ANY EVO 4G ....

Ps. is dumb to fight and get heated up by what some people say on this forums .. This forums is to help out not a battlefield ..

Upvote 0
Ok just my 2 cents here but I worked as a hardware manufacturing engineer for a few years and we never used to change major revision numbers on products based on parts that are swappable (meant to be easily replaceable by the customer). Our rev changes were based on internal parts that were soldered on so we could track defects back to different parts manufacturers that would vary based on cost or quantity changes in the market

Upvote 0
Ok just my 2 cents here but I worked as a hardware manufacturing engineer for a few years and we never used to change major revision numbers on products based on parts that are swappable (meant to be easily replaceable by the customer). Our rev changes were based on internal parts that were soldered on so we could track defects back to different parts manufacturers that would vary based on cost or quantity changes in the market

Exactly, Hardware #3 means its a re engineered version of #2 It means that parts are NOT readily interchangeable with #2 and #1

Upvote 0
Looks like I have #2. Is it a pain in the butt to replace it? Can I simply replace it because there are hardware updates? What's the deal with this?
What about replacing it for Hardware Build #3, but then a new one comes out, can I keep exchanging it?
I THOUGHT I read that this sort of thing falls under warranty and there would be no fees. Anyway, for those that exchanged, was it a huge hassle?

My build #2 doesn't seem to have any problems, but it does seem a bit laggy lately... not sure why

Upvote 0
Looks like I have #2. Is it a pain in the butt to replace it? Can I simply replace it because there are hardware updates? What's the deal with this?
What about replacing it for Hardware Build #3, but then a new one comes out, can I keep exchanging it?
I THOUGHT I read that this sort of thing falls under warranty and there would be no fees. Anyway, for those that exchanged, was it a huge hassle?

My build #2 doesn't seem to have any problems, but it does seem a bit laggy lately... not sure why

Why not send me a P/M ..;)

Upvote 0
I did...it says it only supports *****ROOTED***** devices. Can you confirm or deny this?

Not interested in rooting at this time. I was one of the first to JB "that other device" and the problems were not worth perks at the time.

You don't have to be rooted, works fine on my phone.

On another note, I think there may be some hardware differences but, I think they are the same hardware differences that you will see on all the builds. Many people have noted that their build 2's have some of the same features as the OP's build 3. I think he is just making a correlation between these changes and the hardware build that does not exist.

My .02

Upvote 0
All I'm saying is if you purchased at launch and got a build #2 handset and you are having some issue with it get it exchanged NOW for a newer better handset build #3 before its too late and your 30 day exchange for new is up. Don't be goofy in love with your #2 handset the Build #3s ARE MUCH BETTER why eat stale bread when you can have todays for the same price????? Do I have to SMACK some of you people on the side of the head to get my intention of this thread across??? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Big thread. Has anyone confirmed whether or not #3 builds have screen seperation issues? I could care less about anything else. Other than maybe better WIFI and brighter screen.

The screen fit issue has been corrected on Build 3 but some may still leak a little light even though the screens are now flush. Its just a product of the design of the lower key area and the lack of a gasket or seal around the digitizer. I'm guessing the engineers left it this way so the chassis could vent heat through this tiny open crack all around the handset.

Upvote 0
I have a 0002 model that has a samsung sd card and that battery with the silver foil trim.

Well your handset must have been built right before the build 3 phones went into production hence you have the newer battery and samsung sd card installed from the build 3s already. Im pretty sure they just built them out until they ran out of older HW2 parts then start building the new HW3 units.

Upvote 0
I have build 3 and a sandisk card from launch. My dad has a build 2 and I am kind of questioning if the screen is starting to separate. I can tell the difference in colors but I am not sure if my cooler looking screen or his warmer looking screen is better. If there is a difference with the color of the backs neither of us can tell.

Upvote 0
I have build 3 and a sandisk card from launch. My dad has a build 2 and I am kind of questioning if the screen is starting to separate. I can tell the difference in colors but I am not sure if my cooler looking screen or his warmer looking screen is better. If there is a difference with the color of the backs neither of us can tell.

You hit the nail on the head. The 2's have a warmer tone to them then the 3's. IMO, the warmer tones are much nicer. Gonna stick with my version 2 until they fix everything 100%.

Upvote 0
For those who didnt get their evo yet how bout this...

white-evo-4g-htc-best-buy.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/18/w...-on-july-11th/

Upvote 0
LMAO Just don't take it in the shower. My girl said this is what sold her?!?!? I'm like you see everything my phone can do and, your going to buy it because it comes in white, :thinking: (she cant help it she is a iphone lover)

Im sure white will sell well. Im sure they feel they have to be selling white because of the IPhone also.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones