• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hardware Build #3 Is A Totally Different Handset

I have the 002 build, it has the gray back, foil wrapped battery (which is excellent by the way) and Samsung memory.
My co-worker has a 002 build that has the black back, no foil wrapped battery (which is not working well) and different memory.

Both screens seem the same, but interestingly; her brightness is higher when set to auto than mine when set the same, even when placed side by side.

BTW both her black, and my gray battery doors are interchangeable, so I dont think they changed how it mounts.

Upvote 0
LMAO Just don't take it in the shower. My girl said this is what sold her?!?!? I'm like you see everything my phone can do and, your going to buy it because it comes in white, :thinking: (she cant help it she is a iphone lover)

Lol...I happen to like white phones. My 3Gs is white, and I'm going to get the new iPhone in white. But this EVO is so tuff in black. But I can see the EVO selling well to the ladies in white.

Upvote 0
i have version 2, i don't care what HW version it is as long as it works properly and doesn't have light leakage ( for all those saying people are being nit picky, just wait till you have dust under your screen and it's after day 30 and now you have to live with it because you didn't do anything about the light leakage because you didn't wanna be "nit picky")

Dude, there is a lot of confusion about return policy/warranty. Everyone makes it sound like there is only a 30 day warranty on this thing. That is utterly UNTRUE. There is a 12 month manufacturers warranty against design defects...I think this would apply. This is an expensive phone and hopefully you have insurance. Now that also covers it if it gets lost or if YOU damage it. They will repair it on site if possible or will replace it(with a $100 deductible) if it was YOUR fault. If it is a design defect, then it will be repaired or replaced FREE...ie no deductible. Even if you don't have insurance, I would imagine Sprint would administrate the warranty thru their stores and you could still get a replacement handset if it is a design defect.

Capiche??? You have 12 months to claim "design defect"....and this light leakage issue is a very well known design defect. I, personally, would wait a while to see if the correct it in later builds. If you return it right now there is a VERY good chance(almost 100%) that you will get another phone with the exact same issue....then what????

The purpose of the "30 day" deal is to provide new and existing customers the ability to return a phone...no questions asked...if they don't like it. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WARRANTY!!!!!

Upvote 0
Dude, there is a lot of confusion about return policy/warranty. Everyone makes it sound like there is only a 30 day warranty on this thing. That is utterly UNTRUE. There is a 12 month manufacturers warranty against design defects...I think this would apply. This is an expensive phone and hopefully you have insurance. Now that also covers it if it gets lost or if YOU damage it. They will repair it on site if possible or will replace it(with a $100 deductible) if it was YOUR fault. If it is a design defect, then it will be repaired or replaced FREE...ie no deductible. Even if you don't have insurance, I would imagine Sprint would administrate the warranty thru their stores and you could still get a replacement handset if it is a design defect.

Capiche??? You have 12 months to claim "design defect"....and this light leakage issue is a very well known design defect. I, personally, would wait a while to see if the correct it in later builds. If you return it right now there is a VERY good chance(almost 100%) that you will get another phone with the exact same issue....then what????

The purpose of the "30 day" deal is to provide new and existing customers the ability to
reurn a phone...no quest
ions asked...if they don't like it. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WARRANTY!!!!!

My man is 100% on point...

Reactions: dvrcowboy
Upvote 0
The only conclusion I can draw from the thread is there is obviously hardware variations but the door color, SD card, and battery differences don't seem to be dependant on the harware version. Light leakage can still be an issue on any version and I would also assume the same for the screen lifting above the bezel.

Upvote 0

The purpose of the "30 day" deal is to provide new and existing customers the ability to return a phone...no questions asked...if they don't like it. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WARRANTY!!!!!

DUDE, After the first 30 days you will no longer get a NEW handset as a replacement you will get a used refurbished one. If you don't mind I don't mind but, DUDE I want a new one!

Reactions: Covert_Death
Upvote 0
version 2 here and happy to report none of the above complaints. No light leakage, no button problems...the handset just works. Flawlessly. I almost wish I did have something to complain about.

Well ok, maybe they could actually build a superior battery to handle such technology.:cool:

What you say is very true, The battery technology today is somewhat behind of the demand of processing speeds and general power consumption of todays devices. Same goes for laptops. A better power management system is needed, I'm sure it will happen in time.

Upvote 0
All I'm saying is if you purchased at launch and got a build #2 handset and you are having some issue with it get it exchanged NOW for a newer better handset build #3 before its too late and your 30 day exchange for new is up. Don't be goofy in love with your #2 handset the Build #3s ARE MUCH BETTER why eat stale bread when you can have todays for the same price????? Do I have to SMACK some of you people on the side of the head to get my intention of this thread across??? :rolleyes:

I can and will agree with everything Bettermost has said. I tradeded in my V2 for V3 and it is like a totally different phone, no question about it. I still have a slight light leakage, but that never bothered me anyway, it was the screen separation that bothered me.

Big thread. Has anyone confirmed whether or not #3 builds have screen seperation issues? I could care less about anything else. Other than maybe better WIFI and brighter screen.

Mine new V3 is sitting below the bezel and does not move at all, my wifi works fine, and the screen is way nicer looking.

Upvote 0

You Got It! The 30 day deal gives you the ability to opt out of your contract and get your money back if you dont like the device or service. Manufacture defects are included under the 1yr warranty. If you accidently damage the phone or it is stolen/lost, hopefully you have Sprint insurance for 7$. There are three different things here, really. Satisfaction guarantee, warranty and insurance.

Upvote 0
You Got It! The 30 day deal gives you the ability to opt out of your contract and get your money back if you dont like the device or service. Manufacture defects are included under the 1yr warranty. If you accidently damage the phone or it is stolen/lost, hopefully you have Sprint insurance for 7$. There are three different things here, really. Satisfaction guarantee, warranty and insurance.

Yes you basically have 30 days of power over sprint, after that you are powerless:D

Upvote 0
Not sure if I'm going to add anything constructive here or simply feed plankton to the fail whale, but I got a 0002 version EVO on launch day. It had a plasticky back battery cover that failed to stay firmly shut (I could slide my finger along the gap on the side lengthwise down the phone and it'd pop off), it also suffered from the "grounding" issue (which I doubt I'd have known about until I read about it here), but most importantly it had terrible light leakage UP onto the LCD rather than around the capacitive buttons. In addition, those capacitive buttons would remain on at all times, regardless of the conditions: dark room, light room, wherever... just ever so faintly, but enough to be noticeable.

Anyway, I got a replacement from Radio Shack which is 0003. This one doesn't have the grounding issue or any light leakage at all so far, but we'll see how long that lasts. Battery is the same type as the 0002 one (plain red, no gold bands). It also has the more 'rubberized' softer back which stays on tightly and snugly and is much harder to take off (can only be removed now using the little recess in the top, no gaps lengthwise along the phone's back), a less recessed power button as someone else pointed out, and a Samsung micro SD card.

Now, I don't know what difference this all makes to the arguments here -- evidently people have versions of each that work just fine, but so far, I'm noticing a considerable quality improvement with the 0003 version, however, I doubt I'd have even noticed these small cosmetic changes if my original EVO (0002) would've been perfect from day one.

As far as software, performance and all that stuff, no differences at all. Still love this phone, glad I got an EVO, but would recommend people replace their faulty ones if they're truly concerned... evidently there are better ones out there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones