• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hardware Build #3 Is A Totally Different Handset

version 2 here and happy to report none of the above complaints. No light leakage, no button problems...the handset just works. Flawlessly. I almost wish I did have something to complain about.

Well ok, maybe they could actually build a superior battery to handle such technology.:cool:

Same here. I have version 2 and have no problems whatsoever. (knock on wood).

No light leakeage and my screen is perfect with no seperation happening.

Upvote 0
Many people got revision 3 on launch date. Revision 3 is NOT some new and improved version. I still can't believe that anyone thinks that as I have counted at least 15 people who got revision 3 on release day.

Yes some were lucky enough to get fresh stock from HTC in the form of a Build #3 handset at launch. Most however got Build #2s. Hardware revision #3 handsets are indeed improved updated versions over #2 handsets this is the truth like it or not. This is why I made this thread if you are having any issues with your build #2 handsets time is running out to get them exchanged to a NEW #3 handset. You have 30 days from purchase. If you are in love with your #2 handset well by all means keep it then.

Upvote 0
That is not the case - I have a Build 3 phone and there is minor light leakage beneath the home and back buttons and I can already tell the bottom left hand corner of the screen may have some issues in the future. Hopefully it holds together well but there are definitely subtle differences in the "flushness" to the body between the bottom left and bottom right hand corners.

I really don't think HTC is considering light leakage a defect. You have a defect if your screen is lifting at the bottom by the function keys. If your screen is secure and you see little spots of light where the LEDs are located this is not really a defect but only a by product of the general design of the handset. Some will have slightly more light leakage than others simply due to normal production line build variations.

Reactions: gmanvbva
Upvote 0
Like Spridell, and Existence, I have no problems with my launch day version 2.:p No light leakage, 20 plus hours of battery before I need to charge again, and screen flush to the bezel. I see very little if any conformity between these comparisons of version 3 vs version 2. It would seem that each individual phone just is what it is, regardless of version, or date of pickup.

Upvote 0
Like Spridell, and Existence, I have no problems with my launch day version 2.:p No light leakage, 20 plus hours of battery before I need to charge again, and screen flush to the bezel. I see very little if any conformity between these comparisons of version 3 vs version 2. It would seem that each individual phone just is what it is, regardless of version, or date of pickup.

They do seem all different indeed.

Upvote 0
I'm going to wait for version 4 or maybe even version 5 because it has to be better than my otherwise perfect version 2. I mean after reading all these posts, getting a new "version" must be just like getting a new model year on my car. I am sure it isn't that HTC is getting their production line to operate better or that different suppliers offer different paint batches!

In fact, I think that my videos will play better and my screen will look cleaner and my programs will scroll better.

Upvote 0
I just picked up my replacement today (Rev 3) to replace my Rev 2 that had a screen separation issue and an issue with the digitizer not properly recognizing touches in the center of the screen.

My take....

1. Battery the same as previous revision
2. Rear cover is noticeably thinner and you can see oil on it much easier
3. Digitizer is mounted securely
4. No light leakage at all
5. Multi-touch on insulated surfaces slightly better, but still a minor problem
6. Memory card the same
7. No noticeable performance difference.

I have not had it long enough to identify any difference in battery performance, which is subjective anyways.

Upvote 0
I just picked up my replacement today (Rev 3) to replace my Rev 2 that had a screen separation issue and an issue with the digitizer not properly recognizing touches in the center of the screen.

My take....

1. Battery the same as previous revision
2. Rear cover is noticeably thinner and you can see oil on it much easier
3. Digitizer is mounted securely
4. No light leakage at all
5. Multi-touch on insulated surfaces slightly better, but still a minor problem
6. Memory card the same
7. No noticeable performance difference.

I have not had it long enough to identify any difference in battery performance, which is subjective anyways.

Did you get your new phone from BB, Radio Shack, or Sprint? How long did it take?

Upvote 0
Best Buy-

The original one I got on the 4th. I called them up tonight to ask about a replacement and the young lady told me if I was having problems I would need to get my phone shipped off for repairs. After escalating the issue to her Manager & kindly pointing out that any other item you purchase within the initial 30 days is exchanged, not sent back he pulled out a pre-order for someone else (sorry) and swapped it out with a new one.

I spent a few minutes checking the differences ad that is the list I came up with.

Upvote 0
I didn't think I had the grouding issue until I unplugged my phone and put it on my bed. Then the top part of the screen does not work. Works with the charger though........

Hardware 002....

I had added a line so if the next one has the same issues, might just return and open another line when these issues get resolved.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones